Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Key in / headlights on chime

kok328
10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Hey people, I'm looking for a little help on this one.

I got to work this morning and when I opened my door to get out of my car the warning chime was going off. My running lights, headlights were off and the key was removed from the ignition. It would stop chiming if I closed the door but would start again when I opened the door. I couldn't even find the plunger for the door.

What is causing this problem; yea, a possible short but, where?

93buicklesabrelmtd
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey people, I'm looking for a little help on this one.

I got to work this morning and when I opened my door to get out of my car the warning chime was going off. My running lights, headlights were off and the key was removed from the ignition. It would stop chiming if I closed the door but would start again when I opened the door. I couldn't even find the plunger for the door.

What is causing this problem; yea, a possible short but, where?

Maybe your ignitions switch it self is going bad, reminding you that the key is still on the ignition when its not! It will go off when the door is closed cause it thinks you are in the car.
These doors dont have an externeal "plunger" switch. Its on the actuall inside of the door. And I doubt its that.

kok328
10-04-2005, 05:40 PM
If I could remember which speed of chime is for key-still-in versus headlights on, I might be able to narrow this down.

I can't wrap my brain around how the plungerless door switch would work, does anyone have any details on how this works?

P.S. - I open the other 3 doors one at a time and the chime does not go off. Does this help the diagnosis any?

:banghead:

93buicklesabrelmtd
10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
If I could remember which speed of chime is for key-still-in versus headlights on, I might be able to narrow this down.

I can't wrap my brain around how the plungerless door switch would work, does anyone have any details on how this works?

P.S. - I open the other 3 doors one at a time and the chime does not go off. Does this help the diagnosis any?

:banghead:

It does not go off because it thinks the driver is about to drive off after the passengers get out!
Thats why it still thinks the key is in the ignition!!
Its reminding you that HEY the key is in the ignition and the car is OFF!!!

Is the headlights on while it is chiming? my guess is NOT.

:2cents:

kok328
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Here's what I've discovered.
Headlights off, key out of ignition, door open = fast chime.
Headlights off, key in ignition, door open = slow chime.
Didn't bother w/headlights on combination as I expect the same results (fast chime).
Therefore, may conclude that my headlight switch is bad?

Oh, another thing and this car is really starting to piss me off good.

I now have no dashboard illumination and the fuse is good. The slide dimmer is only good for operating the dome light now (or so it seems). :mad:

I'm too old to be working under the dash and can't see things more than 6" or closer. :disappoin

kok328
10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Just keeps getting better! :mad:

Now the diagram on the headlight switch is not illuminated. The indicator light for the switch lights up ok and the parking light diagram and the indicator are working fine ... for now.

Does anyone have any ideas before I have a total melt down (electrically and mentally :screwy: ).

kok328
10-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I went to the bone yard today and got a new headlight switch for $2 and a new sunvisor $2.

Unfortunately, the new headlight switch was no help to the situation. I also discovered that the plungerless door jamb system works off the door latch catch (of course, what else could it have been :loser: ).

I also discovered while testing my new switch, that I have no parking lights. I have turn signals and emergency flashers but no parking lights, dashboard lights and no backlight on the headlight switch itself and the warning chime goes off when I open the drivers door even when no lights are left on and the key is not in the ignition.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction on this one. :banghead:

kok328
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Man I hate unusal electrical problems. Makes ya feel like your being hung out to dry with the overwhelming responses. $360.00 later, I'm back in action. Sorry to inform that I didn't pick up my car personally and the reciept simply says "repaired short under dash" ... DUH.. YA THINK. :rolleyes: As far as I know, they found and fix the problem within a few minutes and charged me for 5hrs. labor. :mad: BASTARDS!

Add your comment to this topic!