Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My camera is colour blind!?

proosen
10-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Take a look at these two pictures.

This is what the camera is seeing....
http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/09/FF/D1/i09FFD1E0-2E04-4CA5-BA37-72A68B8E0D9C.jpg
...and this is what it looks like in real life when you look at it yourself!
http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/8C/41/8B/i8C418B8E-1422-4E3C-95AD-E85035600A3E.jpg
had to manipulate it to get the right hue, it seems that the cam can't see the red tones in the object?

I thouhgt that it maybe had something to do with the fact that it's purple pearl on a black base coat but the result is the same when I took some test shots at different purple fabrics. They turned blue also!

Is there anyone else that encountered this phenomenon?

Niclas

JTRACING
10-04-2005, 05:35 AM
take your pictures in natural sunlight, and or, if your camera has the settings you can set it for differant lighting environments like , sunlight, light bulbs, fluorescent lights, etc..

proosen
10-04-2005, 06:05 AM
That's exactly what I did, all off it!
But I'll try to go out on the balcony to see if it has any effect and not get the daylight through the window.

Thank's!
Niclas

MPWR
10-04-2005, 07:37 AM
:iagree:

It's definately a lighting issue. If you take pics of the same model with the same camera on the same settings, colors will all look different if the model is light with incandecent, flourescent, halogen, or sunlight. It's due to different lighting 'temperature' (which really means all of these light sources have different peak wavelengths). Same thing happens with film cameras, which is why film is balanced for different light. On many digital cameras, ambient light mode can be selected- so you put it to incandecent/tungsten if you're shooting indoors under tungsten filament bulbs, flourescent if you're using flourescent lighting, etc. Shoot in the right mode with the right light, and your colors will come out correct.

If you can't change the color balance on your camera, it is set to one defalt, which probably is direct sunlight. So, shoot in daylight if you want your colors accurate, and if you shoot in artificial light, be prepared that the colors will be off.

proosen
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, I tried both manual- and pre-settings for the white balance. Just went outside in the sunlight to see if it did any difference. The results are the same even if it gets a hint of purple in the blue when I'm outside taking pictures.
Oh well, it's just to keep experimenting and see what I can come up with.

Thank you!
Niclas

sjelic
10-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Not to make advertisement but some cameras (older Olympus and some Sony models) were a bit crazy in red aspect of colour range. At the other hand Fuji and Canon always had good colours, or better said good colour converter chips in their cameras. Things changed a bit with newer models but some problems did stay (specialy when takeing pictures of red objects without natural light), but most of the problems can be resolved in manual mode (if the camera has manual mode).
Judgeing by the pictures something is wrong with your camera (if it does same pictures even in the day light), because all other colours are on the blue side. In full auto mode on daylight it should look good and if it doesn't....well buy a new one :D
If it is your new camera just play a bit more, I learned how to use mine (properly) after one year :D

Add your comment to this topic!