Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter relay????

92dksdaytona
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
A friend and I used an ohm/voltage/does-all meter to check all of the electrical charges in the fuse panel because of the fact that for some reason my battery is being drained whenever it remains off for an extended period of time. The only fuse/relay we found a problem with is the starter relay. Could this be discharging my battery or does it sound like a more serious problem? My buddy and I are completely baffled. I told him to just unplug the positive whenever he has the car off, and while it is a treatment, it's a hassle and not a cure. Any help is appreciated.

89ltd
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
does your meter have an amp meter? That would be the only way to test for something thats drawing from the battery. How long does it take for the battery to run low? Some volt meters have an amp meter and the way I usually test for draw is to disconnect the battery positve and connect one lead from the AMP meter to the positive battery and the other to the positve battery cable. You then see what is being drawn. While it is hooked up this way, pull one fuse at a time until you find the one that eliminates the draw. Dont forget , there will be some draw for things likes clocks, radio presets etc.

89ltd
10-05-2005, 11:36 AM
sorry, just read your previous post, you could use your test light in the same way I told you to do with the amp meter. Keep pulling fuses until you find the one that should make the test light go out or almost completey out.

hardkordaytona1992
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Hey. This is dks' buddy, the one that bought the car from him. We've tried a tester light, and the only time it comes on is when we have one end connected to the positive and the other end to the positive terminal. I THINK that it also came on near the fuse panel. Irregardless, I know that I need a new starter relay. It's only like $8 and it did test low. We are completely baffled on this, and like dks said, yeah I can just unplug the battery, but it's a hassle. And oh yeah, we don't know how long it takes for the battery to drain. We've already been through 4 of them, and once they drain there ain't no jumpin it either. I know that it takes longer than a half hour, less than 3 days. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :crying: :banghead: Any insight is appreciated.

hardkordaytona1992
11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
You wanna hear something retarded? I replaced the starter relay, haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!