Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cooling System swap?

Gman3580
10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Ok i own a 96 caprice 5.7 LT1. it has the VO8 cooling system option which is one Primary mechanical fan and an electrical fan as the secondary. I am interested in switching it to the VO3 cooling system for this car..which is the dual electric fan setup that all the impala's and 9c1's had. I can get my hands on a dual fan setup from a 94 impala ss. So my question is will this setup work for my car? will there be any ecm issues since the 94 was an OBD1 car and the 96 is an OBD2? Figured id come here and ask some B-body guru's. Any light shed on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Ive only owned this car for a few months now but im totally in love with it. Awesome cars. Thanks in advance, Derick

1968 Pontiac
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry I can't help, but I would also be interested in the swap for my 91 which is clutch fan only. I'm hoping the electric fans will free up some power for the 305. Thanks. Tom

CD Smalley
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes I imagine there are some ECM issues to deal with. The car's with the fans can have them programmed to come on at certain temps. As far as fitting in place, yes it will do so. It is interesting though that you want to get rid of what is considered the heavy duty cooling option though.... Why the switch? If it's just the few HP that you will free up, I'd really suggest you do other things before making that swap. Years of reading the 9c1 list have steered me away from the dual fan setups as they are prone to failure, the fans come on at too high of a temp with the factory setting, etc...

Gman3580
10-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Didnt know about any failures they may have. As for the factory settings i have purchased the Hypertech programmer...so that wouldnt be an issue. yea only reason is to have one less thing straining the engine..plus 10hp and 20ft pnds of torque and maybe better gas mileage for not much work...unless the cpu needs to be reflashed....not sure how much that might cost. any of you have any problems with your dual fan setups? I may go to a dealer and ask them and see if they can give me an answer perhaps. if i come up with something ill post it here. thanks, Derick

CD Smalley
10-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Check the archives of the 9c1 list at yahoogroups.com for the problems...

Gman3580
10-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok GM told me that there wouldnt be any ecm issues id be able to just plug and go. only problem would be i would need the harness from the dual fans which should come with it...if not its 100$ from GM.Just to let you guys know if there was anyone else interested in doing this...also if you wanted to get everything new from Gm...was like 580$ i believe...HAHA i think ill go with a nice used one if i find it again.

CD Smalley
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Hvae you contacted Dal about this? He used to sell a kit to convert the 91-93 cars to the dual fans. It was alot less than $580 IIRC...

Add your comment to this topic!