Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Brakes continue to drag

cpmskinny
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I am having trouble diagnosing a problem with my 1991 Chevrolet S10. It is a 4x4, 4.3 liter V6 and I have done everything mechanically that I know to do to the braking system and the right front still drags. I have installed new calipers and slide pins, pads, rotors, and a master cylinder. I think I might have a defective metering valve but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OverBoardProject
10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
More than likely a bad flexible brake hose. I've seen it happen before.
They seem to brake down after years of use and that's what happens

jsgold
10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Have had this happen a couple of times to our vehicles over the years. the hose can be clogged due to rust on the brackets, squeezing the hose shut, or can be damaged by hitting something. The last time we had this my son hit a dead deer one morning and it damaged the hose. I had a fellow in Corsica forum I was helping have the same problem as you, suggested he look at flex hose. He could not get air to blow thru it even at 100PSI. Rusted shut.

OverBoardProject
10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I've seen 1 that bad too, it had a mechanic friend of mine completely stumped after he replaced the caliper and the problem was still there.

cpmskinny, your truck will sure have good brakes after you change that hose

cpmskinny
10-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I appreciate the help guys. I just talked to the guy who owns the truck and he says that they put new flex hoses on this vehicle last year. Could that possibly go bad that soon? I am going to take them off tomorrow and see if they are clogged or not. This is a very beat up farm truck so I guess rusting could be possible this soon. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

OverBoardProject
10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
It's sure worth a try. You might have to remove every conection in that circuit and clean it out.

If you have a hand pump you can also take the line off the master cylinder and reverse bleed the system (from the calper up)

jsgold
10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Given that most of these flex hoses are imported now it could simply be a defective one, or, maybe the truck hit something somewhere along the line. Does not take much if it is hit just right. Anything's possible.

cpmskinny
10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks again guys. I will try that sometime tomorrow and let you know how it works.

Add your comment to this topic!