Replacing Transfer case?

sprucegoose
10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
With the onset of the noise in my transfer case, I am considering my options if it goes on me soon. How hard is it to replace one as a complete unit? It doesn't appear to be to difficult, but I do not have a service manual to give me the whole removal procedure.

I was thinking it may be a cost saving option (especially considering the high miles on my truck) to replace it with a used transfer case. I have been searching the used parts market, and it looks like I could get something decent for about $600 or so. This would be with aprox. 75-100K on it, and no guarantee of course... It may be risky, but would cost a lot less than rebuilding mine I would think. I still don't know what is going wrong with mine at this point, but it is making clicking popping noises...

Anyone ever drop there's yourself? Is it just a matter of removing driveshafts and the crossmembers while it is supported, and sliding it off the trans tailshaft? Draining the case first would be a good idea I would think...

zcmaniac
11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I have the same issues with my transfer case and I bought a chain a new set of gears and a bearing kit that replaces all the bearings in the case so there is no play in the bearings to allow early chain wear. I bought all this for 300.00. and to pull the T_case is very simple.

1 drain the case
2 remove the drive shafts F/ R
3 unbolt the cross member and I believe the 6 bolts from the T-Case to Transmission and disconnect the wiring to the case
4 have a friend or buddy help pull the cross member and lower the case
5 pull all the bolts from the case I believe there are 10 or 12
6 Remove the two speed sensor they will catch on the internals when you are trying to pull the cases apart
7 On the 246 case you need to spread the snap ring on the front output shaft while pulling the two halves apart this may be the same on the 241 and 243 but not sure.next you will begin to replace the worn parts
8The bearing in the 246 case has a plastic retainer which failed on mine so I got the rebuild kit that has the a sealed and all steel cage bearing from Consolidated Transmission in Sanford Florida. I will be rebuilding mine this weekend as a matter a fact .

Hope this helps

sprucegoose
11-30-2005, 07:48 PM
I have the same issues with my transfer case and I bought a chain a new set of gears and a bearing kit that replaces all the bearings in the case so there is no play in the bearings to allow early chain wear. I bought all this for 300.00. and to pull the T_case is very simple.

7 On the 246 case you need to spread the snap ring on the front output shaft while pulling the two halves apart this may be the same on the 241 and 243 but not sure.next you will begin to replace the worn parts
8The bearing in the 246 case has a plastic retainer which failed on mine so I got the rebuild kit that has the a sealed and all steel cage bearing from Consolidated Transmission in Sanford Florida. I will be rebuilding mine this weekend as a matter a fact .

Hope this helps

Thanks! That is a lot of help. You have to keep me posted on how this goes, I'm sure I'll be doing the same. How do you know what case # you have is it tagged? What year is your viehicle?

sprucegoose
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I have the same issues with my transfer case and I bought a chain a new set of gears and a bearing kit that replaces all the bearings in the case ..................

I will be rebuilding mine this weekend as a matter a fact .

Hope this helps

zcmaniac,

Just wondering how you made out. Did you get your T-case back together yet? The snow is piling up here and I'm thinking I better make a decision on this soon. Just wanted to know how your's went.

Goose

zcmaniac
01-10-2006, 01:54 PM
zcmaniac,

Just wondering how you made out. Did you get your T-case back together yet? The snow is piling up here and I'm thinking I better make a decision on this soon. Just wanted to know how your's went.

Goose
Sorry for the delayed reply yeah we did it in about 3 hours complete rebuild. Works perfect I have no more grinding or chain slipping anymore and the best part is it cost me under 300.00 with everything.

zcmaniac
01-10-2006, 01:59 PM
zcmaniac,

Goose
Oh yeah I have a 1999 Tahoe Z71 and the tag is on your T-case with the model number it should be a New process or New Venture 246 if you have autotrac it is a 246 no doubt that is the only model that has autotrac.

Add your comment to this topic!