Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rebuilding 4.0L

CanaMark
10-02-2005, 04:11 PM
My jeep will sit for 6 months and I want to pull the engine to rebuild it. Nothing is wrong with it, has 90k miles. What kind of costs are we looking at? Please specify USD or CDN, I can basically pull the engine, take the engine to someone for them to rebuild, and I can put it back in myself. What should I get done? I think I can save a ton of money pulling the engine myself and installing engine when rebuilt. Mechanics charge $80/hr here in canadian dollars, so thats atleast a $1k savings. Any help would be appreciated as I pretty much jump into everything now without much knowledge. Its a 1993 YJ 4L Inline 6, what are somethings I could replace, I was thinking clutch is the obvious one, starter, alternator, belts, valve cover, distributor, wires, oil pump, oil pan (Since mine is bent somewhat). What are your thoughts.

How about internal parts, like a new camshaft. Can I get a performance oriented crankshaft, with better rockers etc?

Thanks

kkiowaTJ
10-02-2005, 07:43 PM
comp cams make a good cam for the 4.0,why waste money on a new starter or altinator,if u can pull the engine yourself u can buy and change these parts when they do go bad,4wd.com has roller rocker arms for the 4.0 that boost it up,but if money isnt a big thing i would order the golen 4.6l stroker motor,3229.00 us dollars,claimed 260 hp,other than than rpm in utah has good engine kits to boost it up a little,

CanaMark
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Well ya I would replace all the easy stuff myself, and get all new parts. But internals would go to rebuilder. $3229 usd seems like alot for an engine with 260hp, I get 4x4 mags and I see Jasper Engines did a rebuild on their project vehicle. But Id rather just get a crate engine from www.jegs.com but then im looking at alot of fab work. they got a mopar 360ci at 390hp for $4k usd, Another GM 350ci @ 290hp is $1600usd.

The 4.0L I6 only has 190 Horsepower

myjeepsux420
10-04-2005, 12:58 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

This is a great article on how to build a budget 4.5l stroker which is what I did with my jeep. I know a guy that has the 4.2l crank, conecting rods and pistons plus cam to build this stroker. You would need to pull the engine and take the engine apart, send the block off the the machine shop for prep. You'll have a great reliable engine to put back in the jeep. The stock ecu will run it, you may want to upgrade injectors, throttle body and headders.

Add your comment to this topic!