Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing the oil in a 1.8T engine

joker12usa
10-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Where is the oil drain plug located on this engine. I looked for it yesterday but could not find it. There is a black flat area that looks like the trans.

Duncan1
10-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Take the black undertray off and you will find it. Make sure you don't drain the tranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joker12usa
10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Take the black undertray off and you will find it. Make sure you don't drain the tranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The black updertray is held on with about a million star screws correct?
Or do you mean the black plastic air dam in from of it which looks like it cools the tranny or what I think is it tranny?

joker12usa
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Is the black updertray held on with about a million star screws or is that the tranny?
Or do you mean the black plastic in front of it which looks like it cools the tranny or what I think is it tranny? I looked under the black plastic and there is a screw there that might be the drain plug. If it is, I may just cut a hole in the plastic rather than drop that every time the oil is changed.

Also, to change the oil filter it looks like the brake fluid container needs to be moved. Or is there another trick? My last VW was a 1969 Bug and it was a lot easier to do maintenance on it!! Thanks for your help!

Duncan1
10-04-2005, 02:40 PM
I looked under the black plastic and there is a screw there that might be the drain plug. If it is, I may just cut a hole in the plastic rather than drop that every time the oil is changed.

Also, to change the oil filter it looks like the brake fluid container needs to be moved. Or is there another trick? My last VW was a 1969 Bug and it was a lot easier to do maintenance on it!! Thanks for your help!

The best way to get to the filter is to loosen the coolant reservoir and to lift it out of the way....

Add your comment to this topic!