Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

check engine light on all the time

redneckwoman
10-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I have a 2000 Malibu, the check engine light stays on all the time. I have taken it to the dealer that I bought it from, and they can not find anything wrong with it. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so what do I need to do to get the light off?

bcopeland
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Does it render any trouble codes? The dealer should be able to correct. Seems like they are doing the "dealer" thing so they do not have to honor any warranties. Get firm with them - if you still have warranty on it. Otherwise, you will need to see if the computer is OK, I think.

GMMerlin
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a 2000 Malibu, the check engine light stays on all the time. I have taken it to the dealer that I bought it from, and they can not find anything wrong with it. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so what do I need to do to get the light off?

What dealer did you buy it from? Used car lot, GM, Ford......

Its hard to believe that the dealer could not pull a code.

Seems like they are doing the "dealer" thing so they do not have to honor any warranties.
What, you think dealer techs work for free? it would be in the best interest of the tech to diagnose and repair the concern.
If the car is over 3 years old, it is not covered by the GM factory warranty.

bgbishop
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
AutoZone will read your codes for free, just go in and tell them your check engine light is on. They will use the tech 2 tool and if there are any trouble codes it should come up. Otherwise you could disconnect the battery for a little while to try to reset the light.

redneckwoman
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
What dealer did you buy it from? Used car lot, GM, Ford......

Its hard to believe that the dealer could not pull a code.

What, you think dealer techs work for free? it would be in the best interest of the tech to diagnose and repair the concern.
If the car is over 3 years old, it is not covered by the GM factory warranty.

Here is the funny thing. I actually work for the dealer that I bought the car from. They are still trying to tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car. It is not under warranty, but the techs say they can't seem to find any error codes.

redneckwoman
10-12-2005, 08:50 PM
AutoZone will read your codes for free, just go in and tell them your check engine light is on. They will use the tech 2 tool and if there are any trouble codes it should come up. Otherwise you could disconnect the battery for a little while to try to reset the light.
Thanks!! I will take it to AutoZone. I honestly did not know that they read the codes for free. I appreciate the help!!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!