Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Explorer starting problem

windwalker2
10-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I have read through a number of the threads on intermitting starting problems. What I would like to know is the sequence of what happens when you turn the key on.

What I have noticed is when the key is first turned on, the check engine light and the battery light comes on. When this happens, the engine starts fine.

When the check engine light does NOT come on, it will crank forever, but no fire.

What has to happen to make the check engine light come on???

This has been very intermittant, until yesterday. Now it seems permanent. HELP

~manuel~
10-03-2005, 02:42 AM
I have read through a number of the threads on intermitting starting problems. What I would like to know is the sequence of what happens when you turn the key on.

What I have noticed is when the key is first turned on, the check engine light and the battery light comes on. When this happens, the engine starts fine.

When the check engine light does NOT come on, it will crank forever, but no fire.

What has to happen to make the check engine light come on???

This has been very intermittant, until yesterday. Now it seems permanent. HELP
sounds like maybe the pcm is loosing power or ground when the check engine light does not come on and truck fails to start.you should check all your grounds and make sure they are tight.and make sure your EEC relay is working properly.

windwalker2
10-04-2005, 06:17 AM
sounds like maybe the pcm is loosing power or ground when the check engine light does not come on and truck fails to start.you should check all your grounds and make sure they are tight.and make sure your EEC relay is working properly.

It was the ECC relay. thanks

exploded99
10-07-2005, 01:07 AM

Hey Manuel, nice call!

srercrcr
10-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Same intermintent problem on my 2000 4.0 also.
Checked the Auto Zone site, they don't offer an EEC relay for the 2000. Does anybody know if the later ones have such an animal?

Add your comment to this topic!