Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

d series question

CRXGRETH
10-01-2005, 08:43 AM
is there a turbo that can put 20 to 24 lbs of boost and can be bolted up to a equal length manifold that will bolt to a d16? if so im thinkin of puttin a motor together, but i wanna start with the turbo so i can then build the motor to handle the turbo that i will get. is there a intake manifold that will work with this turbo, that will bolt up to this engine or do i have to have one custom made for this engine? is there a intercooler setup that will handle the flow and pressure of this setup or do i have to have one custom made for this setup? any suggestion on the size of the intercooler? if any thing has to be custom made is ther anyone that you's suggest that i deal with? any input will be greatly appreciated. Jr

slow_99integra
10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Just do a motor swap, like a b18b or b18c and get it sleeved....this could take 20-24 psi and will bolt up in place of your d-series. In my travels i have heard that d-series block suck for boost, and the power is just not there. just my 2cents. But it is your money, and i really have no answer to your question sorry. my advice to you is to search.

CivicSpoon
10-01-2005, 11:45 AM
lbs or psi of boost doesn't mean anything, how much horsepower are you looking for?

QUICK_EG_B16A
10-01-2005, 01:25 PM
D series are great motors, for mild upgrades and as grocery getters right from the factory. In both my personal experience and hearing several stories, the trannys for the D just suck! Mine went out after about 3-4 months of installing a JRSC, and I wasn't even racing a lot on it! Withcompanies like darton, virtually any block can be built to handle ridiculous amounts of power, but as a saying goes, "your only as strong as the weakest link in your chain". I'v heard of others having problems with heads or blocks (and boosting only around 10psi). I agree with slow:
just get a swap and build that up.

CRXGRETH
10-01-2005, 08:03 PM
i have a d16a1 in a 1987 crx (by the way its a rust free body and in great shape) i want to put a turbo on this motor. i am rebuilding the motor and i dont care if i have to run a crower or scat crank, crower or eagle rods, and jp or ninnan pistons, im studding the sleeves, balance and blueprint bottom end and port polish head, upgrade the cams, i also need to find an intake that will work (maybe custom). im just trying to find the best turbo setup to acheive the most horsepower that this setup can generate. i would like to see 300 - 400 whp. im not sure if this is posible yet. i know im goin to put more money in this car then it is worth but i want a one of a kind car. and i dont have a problem doin this right but i dont have all the answer at this time. i also want this motor to be durable and fast. and like i said i dont have any problems doin what it takes to make it right. any feedback will be greatly appreciated

gmcuajo
10-02-2005, 01:48 AM
lbs or psi of boost doesn't mean anything, how much horsepower are you looking for?

Finally, someone talking about something!!!

Is not how many psi of boost, is about how many hps?

Always everybody recommend "swap to a B-series engine". Why you should do whats everybody are doing? That's the most stupid answer... Everybody know that answer, so please don't recommend those answer anymore:
"swap to a B-series"
"swap to a K-series"

89tegy
10-04-2005, 11:32 AM
You can keep the stock d16a1 and still turbo it and get enough bang to make you happy, just find a manifold from a zc and it should match up now it would be better to look for a turbo like a t25/t28 instead of a t3/t4 because the t25/t28 would spool up alot faster.(you would beat so many people off the line maybe not win the race but you got them off the line)

Add your comment to this topic!