Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Corvette vs Skyline

p51pilots
05-16-2002, 12:09 AM
in a dispute here, what would win in a road course with the fastest laps.... bear in mind im talking stock cars here. A brand new Corevette or a Skyline r34 GTR vspecII thanks to anyone who leaves their thoughts on that

Forsteen
05-16-2002, 08:00 AM
I don't know much about the Corvette, but if the Corvette doesn't have 4WD then the Skyline would probably beat it because of the decrease amount of slippage when going around turns at high rates of speed.

"Another moment of history was captured by the R33 GT-R when it took the production car lap record at Germany's daunting and demanding Nurbürgring in October. A near-showroom spec R33 blasted around the 13-miles and 172 corners of the Nordschleif circuit in 7 minutes 59 seconds. Anyone who has ever been to the circuit will more fully understand the scale of that achievement."
Supercars.net
Supercars.net (http://www.supercars.net/cars/1995@$Nissan@$Skyline%20R33%20GT-R.html)

Forsteen
05-16-2002, 08:04 AM
Here is another ditbit for ya.

"ATTESA-E-TS PRO is Nissan's electronically controlled four-wheel drive system specifically designed for road and racetrack use. Most other 4x4 systems have been designed for rally car or other off-road applications. The system employs a series of sensors and two centrally controlled wet multi-plate clutches to optimise torque split between the front and rear axles and was designed with the enthusiastic driver in mind. It ensures optimum traction and stability in acceleration, braking and cornering but without the penalty of unwanted understeer."
Supercars.net (http://www.supercars.net/cars/1999@$Nissan@$Skyline%20R34%20GT-R.html)

Gonthrax
05-16-2002, 12:53 PM
What trim 'vette? A Z06 would be an interesting race, but I think the GTR would come out on top. .9gs on the skid pad, 12s 400ms, 180~ top speed, it's just a car that was built to run on a road course. Yes the Z06 handels pretty damn good, but I don't think it could keep up.

05-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Stock Z06 vs Stock V-Spec, the Z06 will kill it. Z06 is lighter, it has more power and torque, and excellent handling. Plus much wider stock tires.

TatII
05-16-2002, 10:43 PM
its been done i've seen it on best motoring international. the corvette got left int he dust. the v-spec II was chasing the 420hp 996 turbo. the time difference between the Skyline and the porsche was .4 seconds. the corvette got left behind in last place being 9 seconds slower. so which means the GT-R will beat a 405hp Z06.

Tom_S8
05-16-2002, 11:54 PM
And you gotta remember that skyline is more than 286 hp they claim... it's usally around 330-340... the "gentelmans agreement" done in japan doesn't allow to officially make cars more powerful then 286 , but everybody knows , that supras , skylines , Zs , NSXs , Lancers , STI Imprezas , RX7 etc. make more hp...

NISSANSPDR
05-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Well what was said was a Corvette...not a ZO6. So the Skyline would murder the Corvette.

Gonthrax...ZO6's pull 1.00 g's stock...so think about that...and also remember that it stops from 60mph in like 105 ft. So...in a road course that's important. ZO6 (405HP version) does the 60mph in 4.3 seconds...I think the R34 Skyline GT-R Vspec II does the 60 in 4.8 and stops from 60 in 120 ft. Both have a great racing heritage...the Skyline w/over 200 some odd wins in Japan and abroad and the Corvette...well you know.

ZO6 vs. Skyline GT-R Vspec II...hmm good race...I would have to say that's too close to call...course I would root for the Skyline but it's too tough...I might have to say that the ZO6 would win if it could beat down on a brand new 911 Turbo as it did in the Car and Driver Supertuner Challenge (they had a stock ZO6 and stock 911 Turbo race on a road course)

:bandit:

FYRHWK1
05-18-2002, 04:09 AM
it all depends on the driver, put 2 average drivers in the cars and the skyline will win, put drivers who can control the cars throttle better, and assuming you get rid of the shitty runflats on the C5, the much better powerband of the C5 will help it through the course, again assuming the driver can control & use the oversteer. AWD doesnt help you turn better, just means you can apply more throttle before the tires break loose. AWD has a tendency to cause understeer as well as adding alot of unsprung weight to the suspension. a Z06 would beat an R34 easily enough, again with the right driver for both cars, but it would be close. the Z06 is lower wider weighs less and has a better F/R weight bias, as well as the transmisison being over the drive wheels. either way it'd be a great race, too bad there arent more GT-R's in the US or we'd have better videos.

NiteskyR
05-18-2002, 04:21 AM
remember gtr's are basically detunded race cars !!!

Forsteen
05-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Did you guys read TatII's response? I think what he said answered the question. You can guess and guess all you want, but if someone has seen it before with professional drivers then you can't just say this car will beat this car because it is faster.

SR20DETpower
05-18-2002, 10:20 PM
I also heard the R34gtr has the production car record at Pike's Peak.

TatII
05-19-2002, 03:32 AM
not the R34. its the R33. its the same yellow one that you saw in the fast and the furious. motorex used it to promote the GT-R when it first debuted in the states. they had rhys millen drive for them and that car beat the stock class hill climb contest against a 996 turbo and a wrx that weights 500 lbs less then the GT-R. the R33 beat the porsche by 4 seconds and the rex by 11 seconds. plus remember FYRHWK1 the GT-R is a RWD car until it detects slipage. then it just sends power to the front wheels. what you said is partiallly true. the older R32's did understeer. but the newer R34's got rid of that problem.

FYRHWK1
05-20-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by TatII
not the R34. its the R33. its the same yellow one that you saw in the fast and the furious. motorex used it to promote the GT-R when it first debuted in the states. they had rhys millen drive for them and that car beat the stock class hill climb contest against a 996 turbo and a wrx that weights 500 lbs less then the GT-R. the R33 beat the porsche by 4 seconds and the rex by 11 seconds. plus remember FYRHWK1 the GT-R is a RWD car until it detects slipage. then it just sends power to the front wheels. what you said is partiallly true. the older R32's did understeer. but the newer R34's got rid of that problem.

i'm not sure they totally got rid of it, when it is sending power to the front wheels it's going to behave like an AWD car, but your right, without the power to the front its just an extra heavy frontend.

Mr_Root
05-20-2002, 06:46 AM
It was not the Vette but a Viper was destroyed by Supra and R33 Skyline on the official 1/4 mile racing in Warsaw/Poland.
All cars were tuned for the racing but Viper was really lame compared to awesome Supra and Skyline.
I don't know how would a Corvette deal with those cars but if such a powerfull car like Viper were blown away then I will bet for the Skylike anyway.

Fliquer
05-22-2002, 07:48 PM
In autoX, the Skyline will rape any trim of vette. However, I think the opposite is true on the dragstrip.

TatII
05-22-2002, 09:30 PM
nah, the GT-R will take on a ordinary C5 at a drag.

lloyd_nickens
05-23-2002, 06:48 AM
Which GT-R??

Shaitan
05-23-2002, 01:20 PM
SKYLINE

TatII
05-23-2002, 09:29 PM
any GT-R from 32 and up.

Neutrino
05-24-2002, 02:12 AM
If an amateur is driving the skyline will win because of 4wd but with a profesional driver i think the corvette will win especially if its a Z06.

TatII
05-25-2002, 08:07 AM
like i've said before, if you don't consider the drivers at bestmotoring international pro drivers, which they are, they also were former and current GT500 and F1 drivers, then i dunno. but in those videos, the corvette got smoked. it was left waaaaay behind. he was pretty much just chillen by himself on the track while every other JDM super sport was tryin to chase the Skyline the 996 turbo and the EVO 7. this proves, that the ATTESSA ETS PRO and SUPER HICAS is still good and aid the driver whether or not they are pro.

crayzayjay
05-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Another moment of history was captured by the R33 GT-R when it took the production car lap record at Germany's daunting and demanding Nurbürgring in October. A near-showroom spec R33 blasted around the 13-miles and 172 corners of the Nordschleif circuit in 7 minutes 59 seconds. Anyone who has ever been to the circuit will more fully understand the scale of that achievement."

...which has since been beaten by 3 Porsches and a Caterham!!

There's no evidence that a 4WD car will be quicker round a track than a RWD car, provided the track is dry, the cars have comparable power to weight ratio, equally good drivers etc... In fact its the opposite RWD cars seem to be marginally quicker.

I dont know much about corvettes so im in no great position to say who would take the race between these two cars but i was (am) under the impression that Skylines' handling is superior to that of a Corvette, so if power is equal i think it might win

cheers,
jay

FYRHWK1
05-26-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by crayzayjay

...which has since been beaten by 3 Porsches and a Caterham!!

There's no evidence that a 4WD car will be quicker round a track than a RWD car, provided the track is dry, the cars have comparable power to weight ratio, equally good drivers etc... In fact its the opposite RWD cars seem to be marginally quicker.

I dont know much about corvettes so im in no great position to say who would take the race between these two cars but i was (am) under the impression that Skylines' handling is superior to that of a Corvette, so if power is equal i think it might win

cheers,
jay

if 4WD were that much better more people in professional racing would have it, or would push to have it legalized if it weren't, it adds unsprung weight and driveline loss, if the amount of throttle you can use out of a turn is that much higher then it will make you faster, but not if you scrub most of it off into the next turn because your suspension is too heavy and can't react to turn in well. I'm not saying this is the case with the skyline, JMO about AWD. the corvette has more power in both models, as well as more low RPM power, but the C5 on stock tires wont be able to use any of it, it's stock runflats are a big reason for its lack of handling, and why the Z06 is that much better (Z06 comes with lighter rims & tires, and non runflat eagle F1 GSC's)they're both fast, the corvette is lighter i believe, by a few hundred lbs in Z06 form, has a 51-52%front weight bias, anyone know what the skyline has? corvette is also lower, not saying which is better, just tossing this stuff out there . . .

TatII
05-26-2002, 10:24 AM
the skyline i believe is 59/41. its more nose heavy, and yes everyone does admit that its a heavy car, but it handles and brakes more like a compact class car. i mean think about it, the R34 has a better stoping distance then a integra type R. and that car weights around 800lbs less.

Pennzoil GT-R
06-16-2002, 06:58 PM
the old R33 is faster than the corvette (chevrolet will amost certainly have taken 1 round) around the nordschliefe, the biggest test of any car. the R34 is generally faster than the R33. doesnt matter what the weight of them are, or the horsepower or the tyres, the skyline beats the corvette:finger:

Fliquer
06-17-2002, 01:00 PM
I take back what I said. A track race between a z06 and a r34 would be very close: the torque of the vette would help it match the 34s speed in the corners. A base C5 will beat a 33 or 32 in drag; it has more power and a better powerband.

What ya Smoking?!?
06-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Vette!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper

Sanchi
06-18-2002, 06:17 PM
:eek: :eek: WOW a battle between my two favort cars in the entire world!!!!:D :D :jump:

Ando_Rules
06-18-2002, 06:19 PM
well syklines r great but corvettes just r way ahead of them

What ya Smoking?!?
06-18-2002, 06:21 PM
i would go wit the vette!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper

TatII
06-18-2002, 11:49 PM
i don't know you guys are thinkin but a stock C5 cannot hit 12's on the quarter. therefore any GT-R will beat them in a drag or in a track. i have yet to see a corvette break the 8 minute lap time on the nuremburg. skyline was the first mass produced car in the world to do that. i'm pretty sure another car will break it soon too but it was the R33 that broke that record, and the R34 will wax the R33 at a track.

FYRHWK1
06-19-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by TatII
i don't know you guys are thinkin but a stock C5 cannot hit 12's on the quarter. therefore any GT-R will beat them in a drag or in a track. i have yet to see a corvette break the 8 minute lap time on the nuremburg. skyline was the first mass produced car in the world to do that. i'm pretty sure another car will break it soon too but it was the R33 that broke that record, and the R34 will wax the R33 at a track.

a stock C5 not running 12s in the 1/4 is only due to the shitty runflats they come with stock, and a few HAVE run 12s. put regular tires ont he cars and they have the power/weight ratios, and i've yet to see any real info of skylines running 12s bone stock. and corvettes arent popular over there, nor are they extensivly tested, nissan purposely sent a driver and car there to go and run those times so they had some backing for the skyline, put a driver in the car long enough and if the car isnt terrible he'll eventually run a good time. and if the R34 is that much better why hasnt it bested the R33s time yet? they've been out for plenty of time? and what are the handling improvements over the R33? I hope its more then the AWD system . . .

Pennzoil GT-R
06-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

a stock C5 not running 12s in the 1/4 is only due to the shitty runflats they come with stock, and a few HAVE run 12s. put regular tires ont he cars and they have the power/weight ratios, and i've yet to see any real info of skylines running 12s bone stock. and corvettes arent popular over there, nor are they extensivly tested, nissan purposely sent a driver and car there to go and run those times so they had some backing for the skyline, put a driver in the car long enough and if the car isnt terrible he'll eventually run a good time. and if the R34 is that much better why hasnt it bested the R33s time yet? they've been out for plenty of time? and what are the handling improvements over the R33? I hope its more then the AWD system . . .

have you ever been to or seen the full Nurburgring Nordschliefe circuit? It is not a circuit that you can just keep on imroving and improving on. It is so hard that once a car has reached its limit it cant be pushed any harder

FYRHWK1
06-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Pennzoil GT-R

have you ever been to or seen the full Nurburgring Nordschliefe circuit? It is not a circuit that you can just keep on imroving and improving on. It is so hard that once a car has reached its limit it cant be pushed any harder

I've seen some aerial shots and a few videos of it. Thats exactly my point, once the car has reached its limit, but do you know if the car has reached that limit yet? it takes alot of time and practice to push a car that hard around a course as challenging as that. and every course reaches a point where the car cant be pushed anyharder, but a driver in a new car wont be abvle to do that on the firsty try.

lloyd_nickens
06-19-2002, 01:53 PM
The day the Corvette is offered as right hand drive is the day I'll choose it over the Skyline. How else am I supposed to talk to chicks while crawlin down the strip?? (Besides ppl tend to think your "goods" aren't up to snuff when you have a 'real' sports car)

Pennzoil GT-R
06-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

I've seen some aerial shots and a few videos of it. Thats exactly my point, once the car has reached its limit, but do you know if the car has reached that limit yet? it takes alot of time and practice to push a car that hard around a course as challenging as that. and every course reaches a point where the car cant be pushed anyharder, but a driver in a new car wont be abvle to do that on the firsty try.

yeah, but the guys who put in the lap times have done thousands of laps around the track, they know every little dip and bend in the road. It may take a few laps to get used to a new car, but it wont take at all long to find the limits and set some good times

TatII
06-19-2002, 05:31 PM
as for having real proof of skylines running 12's. i have non except for countless testing videos of them in bestmotoring. and most of the time i've seen skylines hit 12's on a few occasions 13 flat. but i've seen it hit 12's more then 13's.

Add your comment to this topic!