Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

serpentine belt comes off

iggie
09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I have a '98 Grand Caravan with the 3 liter engine. Six weeks ago as I was leaving work the serpentine belt came apart. There's an O'Reilly's across the street so I got a new belt (a Gates) and put it on. I double checked the routing of the belt (it's the arrangement where the air is on a seperate small belt that has to come off to get the serpentine on) and everything looked good. Things went well for a month, during which I put about 1500 miles on it of all sorts of driving. THen one night I tried to drive in the rain. The first time I hit a sizable enough puddle to hear the splash on the underside of the van the belt came off. It didn't make a sound of any sort and I didn't feel a jerk of any kind, so it's not like a pulley seized up momentarily. I put it back on (the belt looked fine, no marks of any kind) and tried it again. EVERY time I splash water up onto the botom of the van the belt comes off. What's up??

dmcollazo
09-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Hello! I have a 96 T&C that has the same problem..This is a problem that has been occuring with many vans like our's. I try to avoid the puddles (HAHAHA) I guess that there is a sheild that you can get that goes on the undercarage that protects the pulleys from getting wet. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other sollutions. Hope this helps.

iggie
09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Thenks, I was wondering about something along that line but didn't know if there would be an air flow issue (I used to drive, and work on, old VW's and air is vital to them). Is this shield a dealer thing or aftermarket? I was thinking about getting some sheet aluminum from a hardware store and seeing if I could rig one up.

dmcollazo
10-01-2005, 07:09 AM
I believe that it is something that you have to get from the dealer.My suggestion would be to go and see it at the dealer, to get a good idea as to what it looks like (dimensions) then go make your own....might be alot cheaper.Good luck!

iggie
10-24-2005, 07:45 PM
I believe that it is something that you have to get from the dealer.My suggestion would be to go and see it at the dealer, to get a good idea as to what it looks like (dimensions) then go make your own....might be alot cheaper.Good luck!
For $15 I got a shield and bolt from Dodge that works great. The shield essentially provides a "lip" on the tensioner pulley to keep the belt on. We finally got a heavy rain the other night and I drove through the deepest stuff I could find (much deeper than what had been throwing the belt off) and had no problem.

vamc
10-29-2005, 11:39 PM
This is a start. buy a gater belt. that will help. did you ajust the tentionar(sp) on it?

Mrbizness1
10-30-2005, 11:37 PM
For $15 I got a shield and bolt from Dodge that works great. The shield essentially provides a "lip" on the tensioner pulley to keep the belt on. We finally got a heavy rain the other night and I drove through the deepest stuff I could find (much deeper than what had been throwing the belt off) and had no problem.

IS THERE A PART NUMBER FOR THAT SHIELD?

OK here is my experience with the belt problem.
98 G/van bought new, 97k had the serp belt replaced as part of a pm service. 2 days later comes off in the rain, I put back on but it doesn't rain for a month and I go on vacation and drive 2k miles with no problems
(no rain) Last month it comes off after going thru 2 inches of water several times. take to dealer he says their is a TSB update from 07-02-99 for this problem, cost $275.00. I say ok but am mad they never told me about this when I paid for the belt a few months earlier. I pick up the car and get a credit for the new belt and pay $235.00. The next day it rains and my wife gets stuck after 7 miles of driving, dealer tows car for free and installs a gator back belt I bought for free. (while there a 2005 is towed in with a belt slip off)
Listed a complaint with the NHTSA online, called Chrysler they won't do anything because of the miles even though their so called fix is BS.
Dealer says my tensioner is good but I bought one anyway and will put on.
Dealer says that water is splashed on the idler pulley which causes the belt to slip off. I sprayed the belt with a hose but it never comes off in the driveway.
Losing power steering unexpectedly can be deadly

attacking mid
12-18-2005, 10:28 AM
The tensioner pulley on the 3.0L engine wears at the pivot point creating just enough sloppiness to become misaligned. Apparently, there's enough friction to keep the belt on the pulley when dry, but when splashed with water, it will slide off.

Replace your tensioner pulley (and belt of course), and you'll be good to go.

AM.

javert
12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
These belt issues have been addessed once and for all. If anyone has a 96-2000 chrysler/dodge minivan you must get the Goodyear field fix kit (part number 49204K). This kit has a brand new kind of belt. It has ribs on both sides! Once you install this kit your belt will never fall off again.

Add your comment to this topic!