How do you know if FUEL pump is going out?

Twyztidmind
09-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Ok, i just bought a brand new dizzy, ran new wires, the whole nine yards. My car is STILL not revving past 3K rpm. Now it is driveing worse. If i am sitting at a stoplight and i push on the gas to hard it just sputters down to about 500 RPM. I have to let off the gas and keep one pushing on it untill it finlly reves up.

My 240 did alsmost the same thing when the injectors went out on it only it was at about 2400 RPM

How can i test my fuel pump and my injectors?

arodg25
09-30-2005, 01:19 AM
im pretty sure the it's not the fuel pump or the injectors. it sounds like a computer problem to me. and anytime i've heard of a fuel pump going, it just goes with no warning. as for the injectors just put a screwdriver or something against the injector while the car is running and put it to your ear, you should hear clicking.

superbluecivicsi
09-30-2005, 03:22 AM
check your original post.

Twyztidmind
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
ok thanks, i will check the injectors out and see if i cant find someone to swap ECU's and see if its broken. The ecu was pulled from a running car. But it didnt run all that great.

Twyztidmind
10-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, i tried checking the injectors, i cant hear shit over the clicking of the lifters. When i turn a corner fast, then try to hit the gas it stalls out for a little bit then goes. Some times the car has a miss and runs off of 3 cylinders for a second. When i get low on fuel then my car runs like total crap, bucking, sputtering, at a stop sign when i push on the gas it just sits there at the same RPM for a few seconds then sputters up and goes.

Kven
10-01-2005, 07:53 PM
have you tried running fuel injector/fuel system cleaner?

Rayser34
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
i have a 91 honda civic heres the proplem im having...
the problem only seemed to happen when it was above 95 outside somtimes when i go to start the car it would just turn over i would wait about 2 or 3 min and it would start right up and drive 2 years later still hot outside it would do the same and once the car warmed up to opperating temp if i turn off the car turn off go into store come back out it wouldnt start wait 2 min or so or untill covered in sweat then it would start and be on my way. well that last month its now sill sputter and die after leaving a red light then the usuall 2 3 min would start up and now its dieing going down the road stalling then after waiting a few min it iwll start and be on my way ive changed the filter no difference thinking fuel pump at this point i know when i t wont start its not getting gas i remover the shrader valve on the filter and see taht its not getting gas fed to the engine so its either the computer or pump or could it be a pressure regulator any help with this i would be greatfull i have a freind who had a 90 model and he said his does the same thing :banghead:

HondaCivic4358
10-05-2005, 11:52 AM
i have a 91 honda civic heres the proplem im having...
the problem only seemed to happen when it was above 95 outside somtimes when i go to start the car it would just turn over i would wait about 2 or 3 min and it would start right up and drive 2 years later still hot outside it would do the same and once the car warmed up to opperating temp if i turn off the car turn off go into store come back out it wouldnt start wait 2 min or so or untill covered in sweat then it would start and be on my way. well that last month its now sill sputter and die after leaving a red light then the usuall 2 3 min would start up and now its dieing going down the road stalling then after waiting a few min it iwll start and be on my way ive changed the filter no difference thinking fuel pump at this point i know when i t wont start its not getting gas i remover the shrader valve on the filter and see taht its not getting gas fed to the engine so its either the computer or pump or could it be a pressure regulator any help with this i would be greatfull i have a freind who had a 90 model and he said his does the same thing :banghead:

My car is having the same problem...If its really hot out and ive been driving more an hour or so...i pull up to a stoplight...and the cars idle is spurradic. it goes from 1500 then drops to 500...then shoots back up to 1500 and down again...keeps doing this till i take off....and sometimes if ive been driving for an hour or so...and its hot, and i go in a gas station to grab a water and come back out, the car wont start....i will have to wait 3-4 minutes and it will finally start...sometimes if i try again right after i try starting it...it will TRY to start and then bog down...so i just wait 5 minutes or so...i thought mine was fuel related also...i put in some fuel injector cleaner twice in about 3 or 4 weeks...no improvement...im starting to think its electrical. i have the stock pm6 ecu with a d16z6 vtec (not hooked up). newer 8 mm accel plugwires. and the plugs were new when i changed the engine...which was about 5000-6000 miles ago. ANY ideas at all? its really starting to piss me off..

turtlecrxsi
10-05-2005, 11:58 AM
When it's hot my car kind of floats at idle. Sometims the battery light will pop on. I am more than certain it's electrical. Electricity is weird like that. Also, have you ever noticed that the clutch cable fits into a little plastic connector that also houses the wires leading to the resistor box and main relay? Everytime you mash the clutch it moves. In hot weather coming to an abrupt stop it happens. Recently, I've replaced by sparkplugs with NGK V-Power at .44 gap and reset my dizzy timing and it's now perfect... dead on with sweet throttle response and hardly any idle flutter. Still have the loppy cam but I can deal with it... GL

Rayser34
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
no this is an automatic :( so that cant be it will check back to see if any others have had this problem hopefully summer is over and wont have any more problems till may or june when its back in the 100's

Twyztidmind
10-07-2005, 09:37 PM
well acually your problem is the main relay, it happens to all civics eventually. It only does it when its hot outside, my buddy hadthis happen, he replaced that and it worked fine ever since. Now i think mine is the ECU, my car doesnt idle funny and it always starts, but it runs like shit so i know its not my relay.

Rayser34
01-11-2006, 01:31 PM
http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm
this is a link to a site that tells us how to fix the relay which seems to be the problem did mine today will let yall know the results if this dont work then i will just buy a new one and see if that will fix it

Rayser34
01-12-2006, 08:31 AM
well ive resolderd the main relay contacts its winter time here so wont know if that fixed it till july but now when the car comes up to temp and when i go to take off it boggs down i will work the gas peddel till it takes off then runs fine till i get to the next stop i was wondering if u ever fixed your same issue?

Rayser34
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
ok replaced the distributer cap roter plugs and wires which seems to have fixed most issues it did die on my once since then and wouldnt restart till the next day (lucky it died in front of my house) hasent happend again so i have my fingers crossed and all seems well :screwy: will let ya know if anything else arises :2cents:

well its been a week sence this post and all seems to be running fine guess it was time for a tune up:rolleyes:

ok spoke to soon it died on me this weekend and would not start (no fire) replaced the coil and the ignighter those 2 things are inside the dizzy and now its running so will keep my fingers crossed and wait and see if that was it :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!