Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Main Dealer Records

davidvh2
09-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a very non technical friend that has purchased a 1986 used Peugeot 106 diesel without any service records at all. As a result, I advised him to take it to an official main Peugeot Dealer who would (should?) be able to check the car’s VIN and/or Reg. No., the car’s record as recorded by Peugeot (i.e. whenever it had been serviced or had any attention at an official Peugeot dealership. He agreed to this & we went to our local official Peugeot Main Dealership.

This dealership (located in Spain) told us they had no way of checking anything about the car's history & it mattered not if it had been registered in Spain originally or anywhere else. I find this incredible! Has the car EVER been to a Peugeot garage? Has it EVER had any security checks done by Peugeot? Where does one start to ensure the car is up to standard in all respects? I understand other manufacturer’s official dealerships can within seconds, locate the official (manufacture's) record of work done on any of their cars. If Peugeot don’t operate a similar system, then my friend may as well have visited any old “hole in the wall” garage.

I’d appreciate any information that may lead to my friend starting off with a PROPERLY serviced car in the knowledge that it’s as safe as reasonably possible. Maybe an official Peugeot Main Dealership is not the right place? If not, then maybe he should sell the car & find a make that does properly support its own product?

Thanks in advance, for any advisory input
David

fmsam
11-12-2005, 07:48 AM
as far as I know the only thing that could be looked up is anything carried out under warranty

davidvh2
11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for that but if that's true, it really does show how badly off the British public are when it comes to operating a motor vehicle supplied to them in the UK. Aircraft operations (also with ones life in mind) are far more strictly controlled & if something is found during many years of operations that may cause an accident, all operators of that type of aircraft are at the very least, advised & often required to make whatever changes may be found necessary, to avoid any incident. In the USA, manufacturers are obliged to make public any such vehicle modifications & I'd have hoped that any manufacturer of motor vehicles sold in the UK would do likewise & the extension of that is that if any such modifications or changes to a vehicle are advised, then the manufacturer should both record & make it public to any of their official dealers that such work had been done & on what date (if of course, carried out at one of their dealerships). In these days of computerised everything, I’d have thought such record keeping would have been a simple task to organise.
rgds

Add your comment to this topic!