Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 camry belt problem

thursday22dp
09-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok I recently purchased a 91 camry which which owned by an elderly driver and in great shape. I drove the car home on the highway and then to and from work and around the development once. I went to drive to school this morning and when I start the car it makes a very wierd sound which sounds kinda like a belt moving. I am extremly computer litterite but I dont have much knowlege on cars. The noise lasts about 5 seconds and then the car is fine but something must be wrong. Once the car has been on for 5 seconds it runs quiet as a mouse.

any advice?

chandr
09-29-2005, 11:23 AM
This sound is due to the drive belt. You need to change change drive belt. If your previous owner didn't change the timing belt better to change both at one time that saves some money

chandr
09-29-2005, 11:26 AM
please see the thread
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=459159

Toysrme
09-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Probably the pwersteering / accessory belt.

Many people don't realize that at a slow speed, if you turn the wheel msot, or all of the way one direction, the most PS pumps can absorb 20-40 horsepower.
If the belt has any moisture on it and/or it is old, it'll slip & not only will the belt cause a noise, but the acessories (Especially an A/C compressor/PS pump) will give a funny sounds.

Add your comment to this topic!