Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine stalls after 10 miles - won't restart

corsican
09-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi all.

What in the world? I had my 95 Corsica towed home the other day. It stalled in the parking lot of a grocery store. It seems to do it after about 10 miles or 1/2 hour of driving.

I obtained the trouble codes which are DTC 32 and DTC 55. So I changed the egr valve (DTC 32) which definitly needed it. The other code was generated because I ran out of gas a few days before.

I also replaced the fuel filter and the relay. It seemed to have helped for a while - but now the problem is back!

I don't have any more trouble codes; so I will rule out any sensors. It's hard to test the fuel pressure or fuel pump because I don't have a pressure gauge, and the the engine runs really well until it just happens when you least expect it.

Can anyone help? I know it's not the TCC.

Please help,

Wood

jsgold
09-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Most common items to cause that are (1) crank sensor, and (2) ignition module. Both will fail without trouble codes, although you will get codes on the crank sensor sometimes. They can fail after they get hot, will only get worse. Best place to start would be to remove the igition module, which sits under your coil packs. Have to remove them as an assembly and install that way too. The module can be taken off the assy and tested at NAPA, Advance, or Auto zone to see if it is weak. Your manual should advise you on this procedure as well. It is common for the crank sensor to fail along with this. It is fairly cheap to replace and much of the time they are recessed into the engine so they are subject to a lot of heat and abuse. Only oher thing I can think of that would cause stalling would be fuel pump, would have to buy a pressure tester for about 35 bucks at Advance. I see you have another post on ignition switch. I have never removed one from a Corsica, but, with air bag i would apprehensive on changing it myself. I recently replaced the one on my 93 Blazer, had to buy two specialty tools to do it, mostly to remove the steering wheel. If you were going to try this I would not do so unless I had a GM service manaul to guide me. Haynes and Chilton books are too general sometimes for these things. They are still great to have for certain things so I surre to have both a factory manual and Haynes for each car/truck I have. Your TCC would only fail at stop signs etc., and your car would restart OK, but would stall when put into gear until it cools down. It would not cause stalling any other way.

Add your comment to this topic!