Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 F250 Lariat Diesel 6.0L V8 4 X 4 Crew Cab

dgruber
09-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Manufactured 6/2003

I read "do not own one of these before 6/2003" as engine problems are troublesome, in another post at this forum.

We are getting 17.9 MPG most all the time, from pulling a two horse trailer to high way and city. The on board computer tell's me this.

42,0000 miles now.

When I first brought it home with under 10 miles, I was getting 10 mpg.

Then it went up to 12.4 MPG after 500 miles. Not before long and after the first break in oil change, went up to 15.7 MPG.

Stayed there for many miles later and several more oil changes later.

Water in fuel dash light came on at around 30,000 miles. Changed the flushed the fuel seperaters, one under the drivers cab and the other under the hood. No help.

Changed both fuel filters. MPG jumped to 19.7MPG on the first 60 mile trip, but the water in fuel light still on.

Added water in fuel treatment for diesel. Water in Light went off, finally, during a 1000 mile trip from Florida to Tennessee and back again.

Average now at 17.8 to 17.9, no matter what I tow or city driving or highway. Water in fuel light still off.

I am going to change the fuel filters again with this next oil change.

If I go to the K & N air filter assembly, should this help fuel MPG?

Kit # 57-2546 about $228 from my price shopping.

Also, would a chip be a good option for me?

About 42,0000 miles now and ready for a air filter replacement, although the indicator under hood still say's all is fine, I know better and I am ready to replace this air flow restrictor!

Factry Specs are:
6.0L V-8 Turbo Diesel
5 speed Diesel Automatic trans
3.73 Ratio limited slip
4 x 4 Crew Cab
172" Wheel Base Stle Side
8800# GVWR Package
Camper Package rear stabilizer bar
Electronic Shift on the Fly
LT 265/75X16E OWL All Terrain Tires ( Just replaced with Cooper load E all terrain)

dgruber
09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Bump

dgruber
10-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Bump

MT-2500
10-02-2005, 09:25 PM
That is interesting on the fuel mileage increasing after break in. Your factory PCM may have been programmed to up fuel after break in.
On the K&N filter the better fuel milage is over rated.
And in some cases the oil in a K&N filter may cause problems getting in the sensors.
I would stay with the stock air filter system.
Sometimes the chips help on HP and may help a little on fuel. If you try one I would get one that just plugs into your factory computer system and if it does not help just unplug it.
Do some checking around for a good type.
MT-2500

M3FordBoy
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
An air filter should do you some good It will let the turbo spool quicker and suck in air easier I would sugest the AFE stage 1 intake with a Pro guarde 7 filter. www.afefilters.com (http://www.afefilters.com/) you'll have to look around for a good price but my dad put one on his truck accually I put it on for him but, You can tell it is helping because you can hear the truck sucking in air and when you turn off the truck you can hear the turbo spining alot longer because of the less restriction.
The truck is a 2003 f-250 6.0l crew cab 4x4 long bed. We also have a hard tonneau cover and get about 18-19 Mpg on the highway. We have had the filter in for 20k miles at least and no problems the truck as around 31,000 on it.
Programers/Chips are supposed to increase milage 2-3Mpg If you can keep you foot off it with all that extra power. Most add around 80-120hp and 260-320 lb-ft toque depending company. They shouldn't hurt your truck but you have to remember you get what you pay for so the nicer/pricer ones may not add the most power but will do it and be easier on the motor. If you do get a chip another thing is the exhaust you will need to get a turbo back exhaust and some guages like EGT and turbo PSI or else you could damage your turbo ecspesiasly went you tow you trailer. I hope this helps you out some.

dgruber
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks so far for the input.

I will make a decision soon.

Still waiting for a few more idea's in the mix.

dgruber
10-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Bump

M3FordBoy
10-13-2005, 08:45 PM
If you are still looking for more input you could check out www.thedieselstop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com) they have a hole forum on upgrades and after market for the 6.0l Powerstroke. I think it's pretty much a Ford web site and the people on there are very responsive and you'll probably be able to find alot more of the info you want.

Add your comment to this topic!