Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any Kiwis Removed Cat Conv??

BETTER THAN A WRX
05-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi All,

Relatively new here and just wanting some
advice or hear of some experinces from removing
the CAT on a P10.
Until the GOVT brings in EPA regs, I wouldn't mind
removing the CAT CONV; so long as it doesn't stuff the
engine, and actually has some benefit.

Cheers

NismoPC
05-15-2002, 08:17 AM
You will not gain anything from removing the cat from a P10 or P11. Nissan cats are well designed and have a very large inner diameter (3" I believe). The amount of backpressure a factory Nissan cat makes is so minimal, it is not worth the time. Also, your exhaust will get much louder. (Personal experience on my old '91 NX2000 - bad idea - quickly replaced the cat)

Go here for more info:

http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/engine.shtml#Exhaust%20Systems

AWD Primera
05-16-2002, 06:44 PM
I have been told removing the cat will give 3 - 4kw at the wheels. This is the case when your car has done a few k's and the cat is a bit blocked up!
BetterThanAWRX - love the name. Check out the NZ Primera Car club. Link is at the bottom of this page!:alien:

BETTER THAN A WRX
05-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Have you done this to your T4 - removed the cat?

Can you just take it out, gut it with a huge screw driver, tip all
the gunk out and reinstall as a straight pipe?

Mine has got 130,000k on the clock so I'm guessing it will
be well on the way to being blocked, I suppose a replacement is
hell-expensive?

I have heard that the cat can be annopying to remove?
Where is it in the system? Is it the tube almost straight after
the O2 sensor on the headers?

There is an insert further back, but think this is a muffler.

I am basically interested in improving my fuel economy, plus
more power would also be a nice fringe benefit.

Later

PS: Yeah I have read the NZ Primera Club site - NICE!

AWD Primera
05-19-2002, 05:22 PM
I havent removed it yet. Its on my list of things to do. I know it can be done for about $70. I believe there is a place in Takapuna called AW Performance. They will do it for $70. The best thing to do is replace it with a coby resonator. This is included in the $70 price tag. Andrew (SilverTe) had his done there. Said it made a noticeable improvement in throttle response. Im not sure where the cat is in the exhaust system. Hope this is helpful

jasestu
06-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by AWD Primera
I havent removed it yet. Its on my list of things to do. I know it can be done for about $70.

Don't forget to factor in that the garage gets somewhere around $50 for the old cat, the platinum in there is worth a fair bit...

Moppie
06-30-2002, 07:28 PM
You dont get $50 worth of metals out of a Cat. They do buy them back for about $10 or something at some wreckers though.

Chances if you have an import with over 100k on it then the cat will be on its way out.
Replaceing it with a new one would be the ethical thing to do, but I dont even want to know what it would cost. I should imagine about NZ$150+

Gutting it yourself can be done, but chances are all the bolts securing it will be badly rusted. Beyond anything even a can of CRC can fix.
You can try lossening them all first, but if even one breaks it means a trip the exhasut shop to get it welded up.

And even if you do get it off and gutted, theres a very high chance you will end with a Primera Bumble Bee.
You know that horrible buzzing sound so many Levins and Truenos have. The cat also works as a resonator you see.

That said, its become such a common thing to remove that almost any exahust shop in NZ will be able to replace with it the proper resonator.
And do it for a good price. $70 sounds quite good.

One thing to note. Boxer engines actualy sound quite good with the cat gutted or replaced with a straight pipe. We had a legacy at work a while ago that wasn't running porperly thanks to a clogged cat.
We cut a hole in the side of it, gutted it, and welded the hole back up.
The exhasut note actualy improved with out getting any louder.

Add your comment to this topic!