Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

catalytic converter recall/notice

jbizel
09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
I just recieved the notcie in the mail for the catalytic converter, and i was curious, how would I know if the cat is clogged up? It also says that the malfunction inidcator lamp could come on. mine has not come on. But if i could get a new cat, then why not?. thanks for the help.

BNaylor
09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Unless the SES/CEL MIL light turns on with CAT convertor or 02 sensor DTC error codes along with driveability problems you probably won't know its clogged.

However, the dealer can run tests to check CAT convertor efficiency.

Other methods include a vacuum test of the engine or a low pressure test of the exhaust to check for excessive backpressure possibly caused by a clogged CAT convertor.

If you qualify for a new CAT through the notice then go for it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/gtp.jpg
Thrasher CAI, DHP v1.0 PCM, SLP Headers,
3.25 SC pulley, CAIT GMAF, 2.5 DP/Hi-Flow CAT,
u-bend delete, 160 TS, ZZP Stage 1 72mm TB,
TB spacer, MSD 8.5mm wires, Autolite 103,
Goodyear Gatorback Serp. & SC Belt,
Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
1/4 ET: 13.210 sec. @ 104.490 mph
0 - 60 ft: 1.945 sec.

GMMerlin
09-27-2005, 05:32 AM
This is a special policy that raises warranty coverages on the converter in case you experiance a failure.

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; and Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, may have a condition where the catalytic converter is replaced due to complaints of lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This may be due to the front endcone insulation from the catalytic converter breaking away and blocking the front of the first catalyst brick and preventing the free flow of exhaust gas through the converter.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done
General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the Catalytic Converter. If this condition occurs on your 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (190,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do
Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

BNaylor
09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
This is a special policy that raises warranty coverages on the converter in case you experiance a failure.

Thanks for posting the notice GMMerlin. That clarifies the issue.

That's awfully nice of GM.

BTW - Since it's not a recall or unless you are experiencing a problem covered under warranty, I definitely would not take it into the dealer.

I've got a 2001 Regal GS and I haven't received the notice yet. But my CAT has tested fine.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/gtp.jpg
Thrasher CAI, DHP v1.0 PCM, SLP Headers,
3.25 SC pulley, CAIT GMAF, 2.5 DP/Hi-Flow CAT,
u-bend delete, 160 TS, ZZP Stage 1 72mm TB,
TB spacer, MSD 8.5mm wires, Autolite 103,
Goodyear Gatorback Serp. & SC Belt,
Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
1/4 ET: 13.210 sec. @ 104.490 mph
0 - 60 ft: 1.945 sec.

Langning
09-27-2005, 01:48 PM
My catalytic converter clogged just a couple months ago on my 2001 GT. Had I received this letter sooner, I wouldn't have to take my car to the transmission shop and delayed the repair for 1 week before the pontiac dealership replaced the CC for free...

Since Pontiac already performed the replacement for my car, Is my new CC covered for 10/120K per this new notice?

GMMerlin
09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
My catalytic converter clogged just a couple months ago on my 2001 GT. Had I received this letter sooner, I wouldn't have to take my car to the transmission shop and delayed the repair for 1 week before the pontiac dealership replaced the CC for free...

Since Pontiac already performed the replacement for my car, Is my new CC covered for 10/120K per this new notice?

Your vehicle is covered for 10/120K from the time it was placed in service..If you have another converter fail, its covered.

abrockman61
08-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Our 2001 Grand Prix is having this issue right now. Any chance GM would bend the rules on the time thing? The car has 112.000 miles on it, and the Cat is definitely plugged. I don't remember ever getting a recall notice for this problem, just the engine compartment issue. Would be really nice if it was covered, otherwise it may go bye-bye all together.... http://staticaf.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Tony
ASE Master Tech

Tech II
08-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Nope....I think 8 years/80 K miles is the rule.....

There have been exceptions on certain years, that extended it to 10/100K, but that still doesn't help you.....

GM is not going to warranty a vehicle for 14 years...in fact, no car manufacturer will.....

What is your problem? CE light or lack of power?

Not much mileage...if engine/tranny/body in good shape, would change the cat and BOTH O2 sensors, and also check that the vehicle is running correctly and not causing the cat to fail.....

Add your comment to this topic!