Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it worth it?

vinnym86
09-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I've been researching audio more than studying for classes, and about worn myself out. First, thanks to all those audiophiles for posting up their recomendations and other input, etc. But to the point, i've come down to buying an amp. I've found a HiFonics Zeus ZX8000 for $184.

ZX8000-High Power
4 x 50 Watts + 1 x 200 Watts @ 4 Ohms
4 x 100 Watts + 1 x 300Watts @ 2 Ohms
2 x 200 Watts + 1 x 300 Watts @ 4 Ohms
High End Performance Amplifiers
PWM Power Supplys
High Speed Bi-polar Outputs
Regulated Power Supplys
Fully Adjustable Crossover Networks
Variable Bass Equalizations
HP/LP/BP Switch's
Subsonic Filters
Diagnostic LEDs
4 Gauge Power Connectors
Class A/B Operation
Maxi Fuses
Beefy Gold Plated Inputs and Outputs
4 and 2 Ohm Stable

Now, comparing to other amps in this class, i know this is mad cheap. However, I still can't pass judgement on this because all these features/measurements are still overwhelming. This product aside, what should I be looking for to power 2 12" in the trunk, 2 6.5 pheonix gold coax in the rear, and 2 6.5 pioneer comps in the front? i've got a kenwood 7028 deck. What i've "learned" thus far is that I probably want a 5-channel amp; 4 channels to drive my speaks and 1 to drive my subs, and i should prob be looking at 1000watts outta the amp. Thats how i ended up looking at this Zeus. So when i say "is it worth it" i guess i'm trying to say is should I go for something more powerful? weaker? or Have i got the right idea?

btw, if anyone can make heads or tails of those power specs and has the patience to explain them, i'd be very thankful, cuz i've been trying to look for ways to decrypt this mess, but haven't been able to (yet).

Thanks ahead.

Mannyb18b
09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
www.bcae1.com .... go there

Add your comment to this topic!