Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Super'd Built B18 Questions

GudeCiv
09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I have done about as much research as I can about this combo and I am only hoping to get a few comments from those who have had some experience with a combination as this.
WHAT I AM WORKING WITH....
B18C1:
ITR crank
ITR rods
11.2:1 pistons
ITR oil Pump
ITR spec flowed head
ITR full valvetrain
ITR cams
High Power Cam belt
Adj cam gears
Stock GSR Fuel System (rail, injectors, etc.)
Y1 Transmission:
4.4 Final Drive
LSD
PLEASE COMMENT ON THE FOLLOWING:
ROOTS TYPE SUPERCHARGER AT SIX LBS BOOST

civicHBsi91
09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
what are you doing for fuel?

GudeCiv
09-25-2005, 10:20 PM
what are you doing for fuel?
Walbro 255 in pump
310cc RC's
B&M fuel Pressure Riser

I do not have these on this setup yet although I have used these components on other set-ups and they prove to be the adequete pieces to the puzzle. Obviously I haven't gone much into detail because this is my first B-series experience. If you have other info from experience on any parts of this combo then feel free to inform me. Thank you for your time man.

superbluecivicsi
09-26-2005, 01:15 AM
11.2:1 boosted is fine with some fine tuning, but, for me personally, a no go.

building a high compression block, then boosting it is just too much trouble for me.

97integrals
09-26-2005, 01:38 PM
11.2:1 boosted is fine with some fine tuning, but, for me personally, a no go.

building a high compression block, then boosting it is just too much trouble for me.
I agree you better have a good standalone and a good tuner. Also I don't see a point to swaping the gsr crank and rods out for the type r components, a waste of money in my opinion.

civickiller
09-26-2005, 04:07 PM
well rumor has it that a type r crank is stronger and more balanced, *shrugs*

97integrals
09-26-2005, 06:36 PM
well rumor has it that a type r crank is stronger and more balanced, *shrugs*
Yeah I heard that, but the ls and gsr cranks have gone passed 900whp. So I don't see a point in spending more money. But if he wants to spend unnecessary money thatís his choice.

95whitehb
09-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah I heard that, but the ls and gsr cranks have gone passed 900whp. So I don't see a point in spending more money. But if he wants to spend unnecessary money thatís his choice.

I would not wish to spend extra money either. That would be a waste. Yet, the motor is built with it. Is it so important that I swap it out for a gsr crank, no that would be dumb, so I will leave it ITR and let you know I am not spending anymore money for the option. Its a package deal.
Thanx

95whitehb
09-26-2005, 09:17 PM
I would not wish to spend extra money either. That would be a waste. Yet, the motor is built with it. Is it so important that I swap it out for a gsr crank, no that would be dumb, so I will leave it ITR and let you know I am not spending anymore money for the option. Its a package deal.
Thanx
The shop owner who built this motor just used the B18C1 shortblock he had laying around. This is why its all ITR internals. ITR vs. GSR crank? idk But I'm sure I won't be experiencing the differences in my application anyways.

GudeCiv
09-26-2005, 09:19 PM
The shop owner who built this motor just used the B18C1 shortblock he had laying around. This is why its all ITR internals. ITR vs. GSR crank? idk But I'm sure I won't be experiencing the differences in my application anyways.

UGH and the last two replies were from me and I accidentally was logged in as my girlfriends profile. Apologies.

97integrals
09-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanx
That was never stated in original post. It makes since then if you got the engine with it in there to leave the itr crank and rods. I didn't mean my last post as a bash on you, I was simply trying to help you not buy unnecessary parts. I was not aware you already have these parts.

superbluecivicsi
09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
if you boost, just keep the high compression in mind.

Schister66
09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
:iagree: that could cause some headaches!

GudeCiv
09-27-2005, 08:25 PM
if you boost, just keep the high compression in mind.

It will be tuned with Hondata s300.
Is 11.2 too high for 6psi and 93 Octane with a correct tune?
I'm debating what genre I would like to be in then if it requires change of pistons to correct compression to get any practical power from it.
I know enough about All Motor to have some fun.
Still learning about boost tolerances and its other charactaristics though.

About the reply on the ITR crank. Thanx for letting me know. Although the reason I got a little defensive because I thought I typed in the begining what I have to work with and what I am thinking about getting (the charger) Should have reworded. I'd like to keep a good name on this forum since there are some good guys out there that know what they are talkin about. Thanx to anyone helping me out here.

Anyone have experience with Jun Stage 3's and the corresponding valve spring kit? I'd like to get a few personal reviews(power band change, rev tolerances, etc.) other than Dyno sheets and theories on paper. Thanx

superbluecivicsi
09-27-2005, 09:44 PM
if your serious about running the jrsc and plan on swapping out the rods and pistons, throw back in the old gsrs.

if your serious about upgrading the internals other than oem for boost, dont look at the jrsc.

good cams to boost are some $50 gsrs.

GudeCiv
09-27-2005, 10:10 PM
if your serious about running the jrsc and plan on swapping out the rods and pistons, throw back in the old gsrs.

if your serious about upgrading the internals other than oem for boost, dont look at the jrsc.

good cams to boost are some $50 gsrs.

I understand the gsr cams are more effective for boost. Like two of my b16 buddies with gsr cams in their turbo set-ups. I do not have the old ones since it was a built motor package deal. I am wondering if 6 psi and a good tune will work on the compression i am running. If i change internals for boost, it will be turbo.

GudeCiv
09-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I understand the gsr cams are more effective for boost. Like two of my b16 buddies with gsr cams in their turbo set-ups. I do not have the old ones since it was a built motor package deal. I am wondering if 6 psi and a good tune will work on the compression i am running. If i change internals for boost, it will be turbo.

I might as well tell you what I want first. A responsive autocross car that still has some aggressive high end when called for. this could mean,
My motor set up with roots-type charger,
or ITB's with light valves and hot cams.
Pros of a charger: instant torque and proportional power band
Cons:Boost and relatively high compression iffy

Pros of ITB's: used to driving them, love the response, high end smoothness and featherlight operation
Cons: Less max power, mid range torque mushy, cams and itb powerband may be too high for practical autocrossing

97integrals
09-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Well I don't want to start a supercharger vs. turbo thread but if you are looking for an awsome set-up for road course or autocross and forced induction look into the gt28rs. It is capable of a little over 350whp from the set-ups I've seen and it has a sick power band and instant throttle. I am thinking about putting one on my daily driver. Here are some examples : http://forums.evans-tuning.com/search.php?mode=results

civickiller
09-28-2005, 02:09 AM
well considering that its cr is higher than a type r by .2 which isnt much you should be able to run it safe. i would be better or safer to run it alittle lower cr but it should hold. just have it tuned good and always run 93

Add your comment to this topic!