Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Civic or Mustang?

Bobs8201
09-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey Yall... I'm new to the forums and this looked like a good place to learn about cars

A wee bit of backgruond knowledge first...
All my friends want me to get a 2000 Honda Civic because I guess they like the racing look... I'd rather have speed. (Yes, I'm just turning 16; Yes, it isn't very smart to give a 16 year old a fast car, I know :nono:)
So I was looking at 2000 Ford Mustang... I like the way it looks but I wanted yall's opinion.

Goal of the car is to make it fast... It doesn't matter how you look if you're in last place. So Civic or Mustang? I haven't found a place where I can directly compare the two but any advice, tips, or knowledge of said cars would be great

Gilitar
09-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Neither... Civics are for ricers and Mustangs are unreliable. Try to get something more unique.

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
It's hard to compare a 190hp RWD car to a 130hp FWD car. The Mustang would eat any kind of Civic. I do agree that Mustangs are unreliable compared to a Honda, but if you're looking for speed.. go with the Mustang (V6 or GT).. or pick a different car. Just my :2cents:

Bobs8201
09-25-2005, 07:36 PM
unreliable? care to explain more?
again.. im automotively retarded :confused:

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
unreliable? care to explain more?
again.. im automotively retarded :confused:

Mostly any american car will be unreliable when compared to a japanese vehicle. Yes I know, if you maintain your car then it will run good, but that doesnt mean you wont have flaws every now & then. Have you considered looking at any other cars other than the Civic and Mustang?

Bobs8201
09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I haven't had such a good used car finding history :crying:

First I found a Mazda RX-8, 2004, 3,100 miles on it... for $5,300.
Was a scam. :cwm27:

Emailed a guy about a 1997 Supra... not a word from him.

I like the look of a Mustang but it might jack up insurance too high for my mom. <--About that.. i thought i was paying for it... apparently not... she threatened to take my cell phone away if i didn't let her pay for it. :eek:

A civic is what my 18 year old sister is getting as a graduation gift I think... or something... I dunno.

But I have thought about others... Just the Mustang appeals to me the most..

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 08:33 PM
What is your spending limit by the way? I would reccomend looking for a '90-'96 Nissan 300ZX TT or N/A.

Bobs8201
09-25-2005, 09:30 PM
9 thousand or less...preferably less

alphalanos
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
if you really want a nice car, heres what you should do. buy a slow, reliable car for now. Why? 1) less chance of having tickets 2)reliable. Save all of your money for like 3 years. by then you will be old enough to REALLY know what you want, and youll have the cash to do it. thats what i think. age 16 is not old enough to have a fast car, or a car that needs to be fixed all the time. just stack up the money and you can get a nice car with good base power and work off that. i plan on saving for another year possibly then start looking at sports cars. the civic was just so i could learn how to do everything.

drdisque
09-25-2005, 10:38 PM
most of the people I know with poor driving records drive slow cars, why? because they end up flooring them all the time because they're so pissed off at their slow ass car. but any car is more than capable of driving too fast and unsafely.

saying "all american cars are less reliable than all japanese cars" is just plain ignorant and wrong.

Mustangs are not unreliable

A 2000 V6 mustang is a great first car unless you live in an area that gets a lot of snow.

Bobs8201
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
No snow here in Jacksonville Florida.. unfortunately :frown:

planet_keeper
10-03-2005, 12:23 AM
yeah, i wouldnt go so crazy over a mustang, im just not a mustang guy. I remember when i was sixteen too, and back then crx's looked liek the hottest shit around (lol). i think when every 16 y/o male gets his drivers liscence every 'hotrod' out there suddenly becomes the coolest thing theyve ever seen. i know they did to me :)

dont get me wrong here, im not saying you shouldnt have a fun car, but be resonable. dont do a month of research and then just buy the first thing you can afford. if you have good transportation now, hold off a bit, prioritize what you want and then figure out what you should prepare for, i.e. does it need premium gas, types of oil, maintenance cost, common problems etc. your in luck, cuz automotive forums is just about the perfect place for that because just about all of the popular cars have stickies in the forums that go over all of that plus just about everything you could ever want to know.

i dont know what kind of a guy you are but wanting a nice car + budget = japanese car and there is not much of a way around it. dont bother getting anything TOO fast, when your 16, flooring it in a camry seems pretty rippin' :).

Add your comment to this topic!