Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sea Foam Question

Cereal_Killer
09-25-2005, 04:33 PM
I recently purchased some Sea Foam after reading about it on this site. What I did was follow the directions on the can and added 1/3 of it in all three areas mentioned. This made the ticking in my engine stop for about a day but now it is back. After reading a few posts on the subject here I noticed some people used the whole or half of the bottle in the crankcase. Should I do this also? Like I said the ticking went away instantly after adding the Sea Foam but came back within the day. Can anyone give me some advice?

Canucklehead
09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I recently purchased some Sea Foam after reading about it on this site. What I did was follow the directions on the can and added 1/3 of it in all three areas mentioned. This made the ticking in my engine stop for about a day but now it is back. After reading a few posts on the subject here I noticed some people used the whole or half of the bottle in the crankcase. Should I do this also? Like I said the ticking went away instantly after adding the Sea Foam but came back within the day. Can anyone give me some advice?

Did you change the oil after the you added the SeaFoam?

rodeo02
09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Cereal Killer, your rodeo is a 1991? What engine? If you have the GM 3.1L, those pushrod beasts really are not known for lifter tick, but those lifters can get dirty, collapse and cause a tick as well. I'd continue will oil system cleaners along with 5w-20 motor oil for some 'cleaning cycles'.
G/luck
Joel

Cereal_Killer
09-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Did you change the oil after the you added the SeaFoam?

Yes I did change the oil after a half hour driving. The worst part about it was that I had another oil change about 400 kms earlier.

Cereal Killer, your rodeo is a 1991? What engine? If you have the GM 3.1L, those pushrod beasts really are not known for lifter tick, but those lifters can get dirty, collapse and cause a tick as well. I'd continue will oil system cleaners along with 5w-20 motor oil for some 'cleaning cycles'.
G/luck
Joel

Yes it is a 91 with the 3.1 engine. How do you recommend I use the Sea Foam? Should I use the whole can in the crank case, half or use as directed on the can? Thanks for the help.

94twacker
09-26-2005, 09:09 AM
I have a 3.1 in my corsica as well as my rodeo, when I used seafoam in the corsica I think I added like a half can, drove it for a couple hundred miles, then changed it. Although Ive never had any problems with that motor.... Never used it in the rodeo yet and am kind of hesitant to because Ive got a couple small oil leaks I believe, and it has 166k on it so I dont know if its the best idea or not...

Cereal_Killer
09-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Still wondering if anyone would recommend me using an entire bottle of Sea Foam in the crank case. Can someone give me some feedback on this.

94twacker
09-27-2005, 08:32 PM
not sure, it seems to me like it may water down the oil too much, if you did I wouldnt leave it in there for long. Put it in, drive around a little bit, keep an eye on oil pressure and make sure it doesnt drop, then come back and chance it immiedately. Not sure what to say, its up to you!

Add your comment to this topic!