Viper vs Z06

VenomInMyVeins
09-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey guys... it's been a while for me... I joined the Marine Corps and I haven't been on in a good 9 months. So I'm a little out of the loop on this Viper vs z06 battle. I've been looking on here and I'm not seeing any good arguments between the 2, so I figure we should start a thread and see if we can't justify the viper vs. that friggen chevy.

smithm
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
heres the deal, the new Z06 is faster than the new SRT but that is not to say that there will not be some better editions for the viper such as an ACR or Mamba package. with mods though the viper will more than likely faster

Jaguar D-Type
09-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Dodge should revise the Viper to better compete with the new aluminum Corvette Z06. They should also race the Viper in the ALMS.

lamehonda
10-01-2005, 12:58 PM
The z06 is faster in a straight line and faster around corners. The only thing the viper could do with more power is increase straight line performance. The Z06 owns the viper all around. Can't wait to see how much horsepower lingenfelter performance can sqeeze out with the turbos. Dunno if the LS7 will be a better platform for them or not.

lamehonda
10-01-2005, 01:00 PM
heres the deal, the new Z06 is faster than the new SRT but that is not to say that there will not be some better editions for the viper such as an ACR or Mamba package. with mods though the viper will more than likely faster
The Z06 is already alot cheaper :lol: You could strap a supercharger on the vette and still not have spent as much money as you would on a base viper. These cars aren't cheap, but the average person that would buy one cares about price. This isn't ferrari/Aston territory.

smithm
10-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I could then strap a DIY twin turbo kit for 15k and be smoking the vette.

9ball
11-27-2005, 12:05 PM
I could then strap a DIY twin turbo kit for 15k and be smoking the vette.

This is the point where threads usually get out of hand. I could do this and beat that car, but then you could do the same to the other car to beat yours. There's no point in bringing up the modification point because both cars can be overtuned to the point that neither will be able to even hook up for an entire 1/4 mile. The new Lingenfelter TT makes over 1000hp, good luck not spinning the wheels the whole way down.

Both cars are coming from the factory with ~500hp. The Z06 will probably be the fastest around a track, but they'll probably about neck and neck in a straight line. "Fifth Gear" did a comparison between the Viper and the regular C6, and the C6 could just about keep up on the track so I imagine the Z06 being lighter and with an extra 100hp will edge out the viper. By the way, if you're a viper fan don't watch that episode of Fifth Gear, they really hated it. Personally, I'd take one in a heartbeat. You can download it at Finalgear.com using bit torrent.

BigG123
12-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Viper win's all out plus it has a V-10. Z06 doen't have that. But Z06 ...

xfeejayx
12-14-2005, 01:43 AM
fact: the z06 is outperforms the srt-10 in almost every aspect, str8 line, cornering, lap times, etc...
fact: you will probably see 20 vettes (i believe 10% of which will be z06) before you see 1 viper, and that's if you're lucky (i think im up to about 30 something vettes now)
fact: z06- aluminum and fiber, viper- steel and, uhhh, steel

that being said, id take the viper over the vette in a heartbeat. the vette just doesn't have the charm anymore, they seem to be a dime a dozen (obviously an exageration). i think what gets me about the viper is that most people would rather take the vette, that's the point. a viper is made so that you almost don't want to buy it. it is hardcore kick in the gut power (they were reluctant to put an AC in it, and it didn't come with glass windows at first). and the viper doesn't even need traction control to feel like a race car. yes the vette is more technologicaly advanced, yes it is faster (with the help of TC), yes it is more livable and comfortable, but all that is because they sell so many=more research funds='better car'=they sell more...the viper has is and will (hopefully) remain the car that vette owners love to hate.

BigG123
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Viper Rules ?

Jaguar D-Type
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
the vette just doesn't have the charm anymore

Did you conclude that after drive a new Corvette or Corvette Z06?

The new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has been named an "All-Star" by Automobile Magazine.

The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) introduced a brand new award for a "truly exceptional vehicle that sets new standards". The inaugural AJAC 'Most Coveted Vehicle Award' went to the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

The Chevrolet Corvette C6 was named Car & Driver's "10Best Cars: Best Performance Car" for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and I might have missed some years.

"For two years in a row, our readers have declared the Corvette as the winner of the Road & Track Readers' Choice Award: Best Car. This year, the high-performance 505-bhp Z06 gets the crown."

- roadandtrack.com

The new C6 Z06 is the best-looking Corvette since 1967, imo.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2005/Q4/1282005121713.jpg

BigG123
12-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Buddy Viper has more raw power.

sv650s
12-17-2005, 06:51 PM
i just got the december issue of car and driver and they did a comparison like this and the z06 tied with or beat the viper in everything except handling. and the z06 would beat the viper in straight line too because the corvette can reach 0-60 in first gear but the viper can't and the corvette has better acceleration. so even though it has more pistons,displacement and a 5hp advantage, the viper got beat by a v-8 in a package that's $20,000 cheaper.

garret_the_driver
12-18-2005, 12:35 AM
The Z06 is a faster car, but I take the Viper over it anyday.

Jaguar D-Type
12-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Buddy Viper has more raw power.

And the Z06 weighs around 300 pounds less than the Viper.

xfeejayx
12-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Did you conclude that after drive a new Corvette or Corvette Z06?

The new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has been named an "All-Star" by Automobile Magazine.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2005/Q4/1109200512313087.jpg

i don't think you read the part where i plainly said that the vette is faster, cheaper, and more technologicaly advanced, and also said that i would STILL take the Viper over the Vette.
Of course if i got in one, it would seem powerful to me. i've never driven anything over 250hp, and these have 500+ each+. but the corvette doesn't seem to have the charm any more, imo, because they are everywhere, and are not true-bred race cars (which is why so many people have one). i have followed vipers down highways doing 90+ just so i can get a good look, and i don't bother turning my head twice to look at a vette cuz ill prolly see one around the next corner, and i'm sure this is true for many many other people. People would probably come out and say 'the vette is faster, the vette is cheaper, the vette is lighter, the vette is more comfortable, livable, practical, advanced...' i'm sure i can make a long long list myself. Again, that being said, i'd STILL take the Viper. I'm not a Viper fan because it makes a great daily driver, i'm a Viper fan because you wouldn't last 20 minutes in one (nor would I). I'm a Viper fan because it gives you the raw, powerful, muscle car feel, and makes sure you don't forget it. The vette seems to cover the experience in pillows to soften the blow. I'm a guy who plays football to feel the pain, who drives home made off road vehicles, if i wanted to soften the blow, i'd play baseball. Its not that i don't respect the corvette and what it has accomplished, but from my point of view, id rather get my legs singed on the door sills than drive a vette.

Jaguar D-Type
12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Sales for Corvettes have actually gone down this year when compared to last year due, in part, because some people were waiting for the new Z06.

The new C6 Z06 was developed alongside the new C6-R.

http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/images/c6r_cutaway.jpg

The Viper SRT10 lacks dry-sump lubrication which is used in race cars and the new Z06.

The Viper lacks "charm" when compared to a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. It lacks gizmos and even uses the same steering rack as the S7R, which has won nearly 40 races around the world.

Do you live in Bowling Green, Kentucky or something?

xfeejayx
12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Sales for Corvettes have actually gone down this year when compared to last year due, in part, because some people were waiting for the new Z06.

The new C6 Z06 was developed alongside the new C6-R.

The Viper SRT10 lacks dry-sump lubrication which is used in race cars and the new Z06.

The Viper lacks "charm" when compared to a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. It lacks gizmos and even uses the same steering rack as the S7R, which has won nearly 40 races around the world.

Do you live in Bowling Green, Kentucky or something?

i do agree that the viper lacks 'charm' when compared to an s7. in fact, a little bit after my last post here, i went and started a thread in the s7 forum to ask what makes it so expensive, turns out that its the same thing that makes the viper great, that anybody that drives a competing car (in this case a murcielago) would not last 20 minutes in an s7. and i don't care what the sales say (cuz i see them on the road). i will clearly restate, maybe u will understand it this time. I repect the corvette and everything it can do, and i wouldn't mind having one. but the reason i would get a viper (or an s7) , is because corvette owners (and lambo owners) wouldn't want one (which you are demonstrating here).

now that the actual auto part is out of the way, let me address your ignorance. i don't know where the comment about kentucky came from, i've never even heard of bowling green. i live in chiago, heard of that? i'm liking the auto talk and the info you are bringing to the table (cuz u seem to know more than me, and i'm not being sarcastic), but let's keep the forum to that huh?

Loekee75
12-24-2005, 03:19 AM
I'd say the Viper is long overdue a nice "retuning" to remain King of the Domestic Drivers...then the Z06 would have a nice run for it's money...

Jaguar D-Type
12-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Corvettes are built in Bowling Green, Kentucky and so there would likely be a lot of them there on the streets and around the factory.

I do wish the Corvette C6 was only available with a manual transmission like the Viper.

xfeejayx
12-25-2005, 07:57 PM
I'd say the Viper is long overdue a nice "retuning" to remain King of the Domestic Drivers...then the Z06 would have a nice run for it's money...

i do agree that there are some things about the viper that are a little more primitive than charming. i do wish they had more hp coming out of an 8.3 than they do. but the tourque does just keep coming on that machine. i also wish that they would do something about the side pipes. i do like the look, but it's awkward to be able to cook eggs on the door sill of a car.

and the viper in its current state gives the z06 a good run for its money. well, maybe a little more money

AvAlAnChE1090
12-29-2005, 04:39 PM
If I had a viper, I wouldn't do any performance mods to it, i'd shave off some weight for it to be lighter. I'd still take the viper over a 'vette any day.

paul_meets_mark
02-09-2006, 01:27 PM
IMO....I'd rather buy a Lincoln Mark VIII, get one yourself and you'll see why, lol...

VincentDurango
02-09-2006, 05:18 PM
IMO i would take the Viper, Why? If i had that money i would buy based on looks. I would also take comfort that i could lay waste to most street racers out there. Well not most, i know alot of people in there 20k cars that can beat vipers and corvettes... But I still would like a Viper. Regardless of being slower then a vette, they stand out and are admired or hated, it still turns head even if it is hated.

Edit: also i see 2-4 corvettes everyday, and it being winter i see one driving around at least once a week. Only ever see a handfull of vipers in the summer. None stick either, each one is different.

lincolnmaster80
02-15-2006, 01:48 PM
fact: the z06 is outperforms the srt-10 in almost every aspect, str8 line, cornering, lap times, etc...
fact: you will probably see 20 vettes (i believe 10% of which will be z06) before you see 1 viper, and that's if you're lucky (i think im up to about 30 something vettes now)
fact: z06- aluminum and fiber, viper- steel and, uhhh, steel

that being said, id take the viper over the vette in a heartbeat. the vette just doesn't have the charm anymore, they seem to be a dime a dozen (obviously an exageration). i think what gets me about the viper is that most people would rather take the vette, that's the point. a viper is made so that you almost don't want to buy it. it is hardcore kick in the gut power (they were reluctant to put an AC in it, and it didn't come with glass windows at first). and the viper doesn't even need traction control to feel like a race car. yes the vette is more technologicaly advanced, yes it is faster (with the help of TC), yes it is more livable and comfortable, but all that is because they sell so many=more research funds='better car'=they sell more...the viper has is and will (hopefully) remain the car that vette owners love to hate.

It's the same thing with Mustangs...........tooooooo popular. I go for a drive down the highway, and see 2x more vette's than I do vipers. The occational lamborghini every few months or so. Vipers are less common, they turn more heads when people see them. Vette's....well, when i see one, i look back to what i was doing and keep going. Viper...i watch till i can't see it no more and even then i reposition myself so that I'll be able to see it up to the last possible second...besides, that V-10 growl...if you can even describe it as a growl...is so unique compared to a V-8, you've pretty much heard them all. Though I do admit, that huge in your face V-8 sound does something to a man no woman can ever do! But that V-10 sound is quite something. It caught my attention the first time I heard it and i tell you, i never forgot it. Vette owners love to hate...because the vette owners are proud to own a heritage...viper doesn't have much of a heritage compared to vette and look how far the viper has come...rivaling their precious babies! Vipers...no room for babies...200+ MPH ZONE ONLY!

lincolnmaster80
02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
People would probably come out and say '...the vette is more comfortable, livable, practical, advanced...'

You call that a race car?

i'm sure i can make a long long list myself. Again, that being said, i'd STILL take the Viper. I'm not a Viper fan because it makes a great daily driver, i'm a Viper fan because you wouldn't last 20 minutes in one (nor would I). I'm a Viper fan because it gives you the raw, powerful, muscle car feel, and makes sure you don't forget it. The vette seems to cover the experience in pillows to soften the blow. I'm a guy who plays football to feel the pain, who drives home made off road vehicles, if i wanted to soften the blow, i'd play baseball. Its not that i don't respect the corvette and what it has accomplished, but from my point of view, id rather get my legs singed on the door sills than drive a vette.

You speaka my language!

convdart
03-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I would take the Viper, first and biggest reason would be looks. When you see the Viper you see a racecar. I don't know why, but when I see a Corvette on the road I just see maybe a fast cruiser, but I don't see a race car...second and almost as big...it's a DODGE, Chevy's can kiss my ***. I'm a diehard MOPAR fan till the day I die!

Ford GT40
04-21-2006, 06:26 PM
The viper looks better and faster.

flatlander757
05-06-2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJoS76LpMo

The way that the host of Top Gear feels pretty much sums it up.

The type of person that buys a Viper is the same guy that daily drives a no-AC, stripped interior, full roll cage drag car... the only thing of importance is that it runs on pump gas:naughty:

I can't speak for Corvettes, but in convertible form, the Viper is rigid as hell... other than having no top, you would never be able to tell.

The V10 is so darn restricted in stock form, aftermarket upgrades(especially on the intake side of things) yield insane performance gains.

Plus, once you get into cars as fast as the Viper and Z06... I really doubt you would "feel" a difference in performance.

I'd buy a Viper solely on the fact that most people can't handle it... I know I sure as hell couldn't, but it would be one hell of a learning experience. That and I could perform all the service on it myself:p

Brandon2000
05-08-2006, 12:32 AM
yo yo this is the FACT
ZO6 out preforms the Viper in everything
the problem is that the Viper's rearend is a 3.06 and the ZO6 is a 3.42 or something close to that.

THATS IT!

Hennessey Person
06-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Thats pretty much the problem with the Viper. Dodge tryed to customize the coupe but they gave it too much metal and the z06 got too bee faster because its 300 pounds lighter. But the viper and the Z06 are great cars.

69charger426
08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Id also take the viper because of its rarity, and it looks better.

I have a question for you all, what could dodge do the current srt10 coupe, to make it faster then the ZO6 without jacking up the price too much?

mehrshadvr4
08-26-2006, 04:03 PM
according to auto week mag ,the z06 is a little faster than viper on straight line.the new gts is faster than z06 with stability control on on slalom.viper has better brake too .viper 60mph to 0 takes 107 foot z06 takes 110foot. viper has higher quality parts than corvet. and the most important thing viper looks way better than z06.

Avoitus
10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Get your Viper tuned by Hennesey and the Viper would blow away the Z06.

bloodyprice
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
the viper is just a sweet car.

plus if im not mistaken its easier to smoke the tires and be a showoff in the viper.

ikeyballz
05-06-2007, 07:01 AM
i love em both. im stuck between which id choose if i could.. and had the $..but..
used, a vette goes way cheaper then a viper (z06 vs srt)..

lincolnmaster80
05-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Chev's are obviously cheaper...in more ways than one...:grinyes:

AMGalltheway
05-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Chev's are obviously cheaper...in more ways than one...:grinyes:

+2 i got a 91 dodge van over 160k miles and it just keeps on rolling

personally i would buy a 2nd generation viper best looking imo and it can come as a coupe plus the aftermarket is huge and they are so much more rare and they carry more presence

MR2spyderB
08-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Well....the new viper came out with 600hp :). I personlly liek the viper more looks wise...but the Z06 is one hot and fast car.

ikeyballz
08-14-2007, 06:44 AM
lol, for longevity.. cant beat chevy.. i used to always want a viper.. but when i got my maro, and i grew up a bit. i realized chevy stuff is pretty damn good. lol ;P im not saying vipers suck

i love em, i do. but what you can do to a viper, you can do to a vette cheaper.

vettes w. the lingf.(idk how to spell) twin turbo gets 1K hp.. just like the viper w. the hennesey turbos.. vette = lighter

both are sexy. if i had the $ id take the viper, but realistically.. vette all the way. ;)

zo6's are going for 30K used.. vipers? i wish.

im getting me a z once i get the h3ll out of college :P

AMGalltheway
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah the zo6 is the every mans supercar and yes id buy one if i had the money but if i had more money id buy the viper more street presence and it looks better and by the way i have seen used vipers go for 30-35

lincolnmaster80
08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
To be on the "argumentative" side, the Vette is way to popular. I used to work at a gas station and saw 8x more Vette's than I did Vipers. The only reason I could think of is not that fact that "Chev's are better", but the fact they used to run about 40K cheaper than a Viper (Canadian dollar). When a Viper did roll up to the pump, I couldn't take my eye's off it...

But when I was younger (and I'm not that much older by comparison), I would have gotten on the Viper band wagon and said, "VIPERS ROCK VETTE'S" and would have started slamming the 'Chev Boy', if you will. But I've come to the realization that it doesn't matter what you personally like versus what the other guy thinks is better; what matters is what you like and who cares what the other guy thinks is better; he's obviously trying to make up for a lack of "stature and ego"... Had we no competition in this world, at least a lot less of it, we wouldn't have near as much problems as we have today.

That said, Vipers have always been my favorite cars since I was 12. I didn't know near as much about cars then as I do now, but to be honest, I'd own a Viper over a Vette simply because I'm in love with them.........and they are a lot less seen compared to the Vette.

asuj_158@msn.com
11-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I think when they made the new Z06 they made it lighter by making the floor out of layers of carbon fiber and cardboard mashed together to make a strong but lightweight floor.

asuj_158@msn.com
11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Sorry its balsa wood and carbon fiber not cardboard. my apologies

Add your comment to this topic!