Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leather versus 6-speed

andr3w
09-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Hmmmmmm. I'm having trouble deciding among cars. I'm liking both the Audi A4 and the Saab 9-3, so aside from test driving it's going to basically come down to whether I want a six-speed or leather seats. I can't afford both at once, the Saab has standard leather, the Audi has cloth but six-speed manual transmission.

Oh what a dillema. Maybe I should screw them all and just buy a Civic, but I wouldn't mind opinions.

curtis73
09-25-2005, 01:52 PM
When you get rich later, its easy to add leather seats, but a pain to add a 6 speed. I'd go with the mechanical parts you want now, then cosmetic later when you can afford it.

andr3w
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
i never thought of.. adding stuff later for some reason

but logical :-P

DinanM3_S2
09-25-2005, 03:57 PM
It depends where your priorities lie. The Saab 9-3 is not a nearly as good of a car as the A4. They are just plain boring to drive in comparison. Time after time, the 9-3 loses to whatever its competition is no matter who tests it. But if you are really looking for really comfortable ride, you may want the leather, although the cloth in the Audi is by no means bad. If you want to have more fun in your car, the A4 might be a better choice.

By your choices, it sounds like you might really want something European, but if that is not true, you may want to consider an Acura TSX. I personally like them more then the A4 1.8t (havn't drivin the 2.0t yet). Very responsive handling, especially for a FWD car, decent power, good interior, 6-speed manual, at around $27,000.

If you can stretch your funds up to around $33,000, you could afford a G35 Sedan, which is RWD, handles better then any of the previously mentioned cars, has more power, and has leather and a 6-speed.

Just for good measure, I'll mention the BMW 3-series. This is in my opinion the best sports sedan you can buy under $40,000. The problem with it is the price of a new one, which is a bit steep compared to most of the cars you mentioned. You can get a BMW certified 330i with around 10k to 15k miles for around $30,000 now, so I would test drive one just to see what they are like. Despite its price, it outsells all of its direct competition, and this if for a good reason.

andr3w
09-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I really would rather have a funner car. I've always heard that Saabs are comfortable, and I drive an hour and an hour back to my girlfriend's at least once a week, and I intend to take this car on a whole day's road trip next Spring.

I'm not sure if I've ever been in a car with leather for any length of time so I don't really know the difference. Since I live in Ohio with its scorching summers and freezing winters, I might not want to deal with the hot sticky/cold tough that leather yields.

I do like european cars but I'm not adverse to Japanese, I'll give the Acura TSX a test drive.

One of my nitpicks is that I haaaate blank panels in my cars. My current one, Ford Aspire, is full of little blank panels where not installed features/options go. A good interior is a must, really more so than out because I'm going to spend more of my time driving my car than admiring it.

That is a bit of a stretch but I suppose it's worth looking at for the Infiniti. One thing worries me though, in Ohio we get snow a lot, is it still true that RWD cars don't do well in snow?

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I'd definitely take the Audi A4 with a 6-speed. Who cares about leather, having a manual transmission would be more fun to drive. Are you buying new or used, and is it a 1.8T/2.0T or 3.2 V6?

andr3w
09-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I'd definitely take the Audi A4 with a 6-speed. Who cares about leather, having a manual transmission would be more fun to drive. Are you buying new or used, and is it a 1.8T/2.0T or 3.2 V6?

well, it'd be manual regardless, 5 speed versus 6 speed.

I'm going new for sure, I'd rather not touch anything used, and it'd be the 2.0T

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 07:44 PM
well, it'd be manual regardless, 5 speed versus 6 speed.

I'm going new for sure, I'd rather not touch anything used, and it'd be the 2.0T

Ohh my bad, I thought the Saab would be automatic because you didnt state that it would have a 5-speed. Other than that.. I prefer 5-speed because its less shifting and longer gears, but thats all personal preference. I'd still take the A4 over a Saab just because its an Audi, and I heard you can make those 2.0T's fly with an ECU chip. :grinyes:

andr3w
09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
no worries ;-)

i kinda like the idea of that extra gear though, it sounds fun... more control you know? or would it just be a pain?

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 07:52 PM
no worries ;-)

i kinda like the idea of that extra gear though, it sounds fun... more control you know? or would it just be a pain?

I dont think having a 6-speed would be a pain at all, just more shifting. It has its pro's and con's, but it really comes down to all personal preference. ;)

andr3w
09-25-2005, 07:58 PM
true enough. the test driving each car on the same day so I can compare will probably tell me the most

Zachp911
09-25-2005, 08:04 PM
true enough. the test driving each car on the same day so I can compare will probably tell me the most

That's definitely the best way to decide which car you want. Let us know which one you decided to purchase. :wink:

andr3w
09-25-2005, 08:08 PM
That's definitely the best way to decide which car you want. Let us know which one you decided to purchase. :wink:

definately ;)

thanks guys :)

clawhammer
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
So which one did you buy?

andr3w
09-27-2005, 01:19 PM
considering my last post was two days ago, i would think it reasonable to assume that i haven't bought anything yet ;-)

I'm still waiting for my money to get straightend out and I need to spend a weekend test driving :-P

2.2 Straight six
10-02-2005, 06:06 PM
i would go with the audi, although i love the 9-3 (based on looks) i think the audi is a better car, and even with cloth seats its still an audi, so they'll most likely be good cloth seats an not cheap nasty ones.

andr3w
10-02-2005, 06:18 PM
unfortunately, I have had a monentary fart which has caused my car budget to be written out of the books for the time being.

Which sucks some hardcore, so it looks like i'll be sticking with my Aspire.

Bleh. But I do appreciate all your responses, and I'll keep these in mind once I do manage to buy a car.

flatlander757
10-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I know it doesn't matter now, but leather seats burn like heck in summer.

It may be different for you, but I get swamp-ass from leather seats :lol2:

I'd take cloth even if leather were cheaper.

Add your comment to this topic!