Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Westphalia HEAD GASKET Question

Bob1942
09-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I am looking at a 91 Westphalia with the 4 cylinder engine it has a blown head gasket I can get this van cheap ...I have some questions ...

#1 I have heard that head gaskets are a big problem ? Do they fail a lot ? Are they easy to change ? Are they expensive ? I am a good DIY mechanic.

#2 Is it hard to get parts for VW vans ?

#3 This van also has an automatic transmission I hear these are VERY expensive Are the automatic transmissions failing a lot in these vans ?

THANK YOU ! ---- BOB in MIchigan

Tosh Hawke
10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I am looking at a 91 Westphalia with the 4 cylinder engine it has a blown head gasket I can get this van cheap ...I have some questions ...

#1 I have heard that head gaskets are a big problem ? Do they fail a lot ? Are they easy to change ? Are they expensive ? I am a good DIY mechanic.

#2 Is it hard to get parts for VW vans ?

#3 This van also has an automatic transmission I hear these are VERY expensive Are the automatic transmissions failing a lot in these vans ?

THANK YOU ! ---- BOB in MIchigan

Hi Bob- I have a 91 Carat that had the same problem. Changed the head gaskets myself with no problem. The total gasket set may run anywhere between $90 to $130 depending on where you are. Parts are easy to get at your local Auto Parts place but found them to be cheaper at a foreign car parts place that deals with VW. And for this year, parts are plentiful. If you know which side your problem's side you can take your head off without even removing the engine--but I recomend taking the engine out and doing both sides that way you would be able to also inspect componets such as; pistons, rings, push tubes etc. As for the auto tranny, I've had no problems yet with mine(had my van for several years now). Very pleased with my van.
Anyway hope this helps. Tosh

westyman
12-26-2005, 02:25 PM
[Bob.

There are not that bad to work on, you can get a set of heads for about a grand and can do it without removing the engine, However o do it right, I would pull the motor and do a total rebuild. I will tell you this, I bought an engine from a guy names Boston Bob from Boston Engine...its crap, nothing but crap, he still owes me core money which he cant afford to give me back and we works out of his basement. If you want an great engine either Tiico or Go westy.... I would pull the engine drive chain, the trans will cost you about 1500.00 the engine about 6500.00

In still chasing Van-again to make the install right and boston engine do stand behind it, The engine was installed in July and Ive had nothing but trouble.....

Good Luck

redheadedtwizzler
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I own a 1986, '89 and '90 Vanagon. All three of mine needed head gaskets replaced. It isn't that bad of a thing to do, as long as you are careful and don't try to rush things. You risk bending the pushrods or pulling out the cylinders too far (exposing the piston rings) if you aren't careful and take your time. The Vanagon motors are very easy to understand and work on with a little practise and some backyard mechanical knowhow. Plus, I've never had a problem with the automatic transmissions in these vans, nor have I known anyone who has. Rarely do you read about anyone who has had trouble with the automatic Vanagon transmissions. They are very reliable. The Vanagon motor is prone to head gasket leaks though. Actually, once you replace the head gaskets, the motors themselves commonly run well above 250,000 miles before needing to be rebuilt. There is no timing belt or chain to wear out. You will be pleased with the Vanagon, I assure you.

Add your comment to this topic!