Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LaCrosse CXS performance?

06LaCrosse
09-25-2005, 04:08 AM
I've searched all over but can't find the top speed (where the limiter kicks in) for the 06 CXS, anybody know?

from the numbers I have found it looks like 0 to 60 in the low 7 sec range and the 1/4th mile in mid 15's..

-Josh-
10-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I haven't heard to much about it's performance characteristics. I dont think that's why anyone would buy one. But i can tell you that the car gets looks from young people as well as older, and having driven and ridden in one, it has some get up and go to it. It's a very nice car i wouldn't mind owning myself.

Gdubya
10-07-2005, 08:37 AM
While we're on the topic of performance, does anyone know why Buick dropped the Supercharged version of the 3.8 with the new LaCrosse? As I recall, performance times with the Regal GS were better than what
06LaCrosse mentions. I drove the LaCrosse CSX with the new engine and did not like it at all. Seemed to be constanly shifting to keep the engine RPM's where they needed to be. I opted for the CXL with the standard 3.8 instead. Hated to give up the added performance but couldn't live with the constant shifting.

BNaylor
10-15-2005, 09:10 AM
While we're on the topic of performance, does anyone know why Buick dropped the Supercharged version of the 3.8 with the new LaCrosse? As I recall, performance times with the Regal GS were better than what
06LaCrosse mentions. I drove the LaCrosse CSX with the new engine and did not like it at all. Seemed to be constanly shifting to keep the engine RPM's where they needed to be. I opted for the CXL with the standard 3.8 instead. Hated to give up the added performance but couldn't live with the constant shifting.

I recall we discussed this in the past. My question is why Buick is continuing to go with the 3.6L V6 VVT for the CXS in the new model year? Even the '06 Chevy Impala LT level 3 trim has a 3.9L V6 VVT with 242 hp. Sure sounds like Buick is dropping the ball again. :dunno:

bigryan
12-17-2005, 11:51 PM
The reason why the Supercharged 3.8 was dropped was because some owners had problems with their supercharger going out every 50K miles or so, that was one of the few porblems the 3800' s ever had. Extremely reliable powerplant witouth the supercharger though.

BNaylor
12-18-2005, 01:02 AM
The reason why the Supercharged 3.8 was dropped was because some owners had problems with their supercharger going out every 50K miles or so, that was one of the few porblems the 3800' s ever had. Extremely reliable powerplant witouth the supercharger though.

That is news to me and I disagree. The L67 Series II 3800 with supercharger is as reliable as the normally aspirated. I have a '97 Grand Prix GTP (91K miles) and '01 Regal GS (52K miles) and still have the original Eaton M90 Gen 3 blowers. I can refer you to a bunch of people on AF that still have their original blowers.

IMO Buick dropped it for other reasons. GM still offers the platform for its performance divisions. Pontiac continues to offer the supercharged version of the Series III 3800 for the '06 Grand Prix GT. The blower was updated to an Eaton M90 Gen5 back in the 2004 model year.

BTW - The NA Series II 3800 suffered more intake poblems than the SC version due to the flaky plastic upper intake manifold (UIM) and gaskets. GM cured that problem by going to an all aluminum intake manifold on the Series III 3800.

Gdubya
12-19-2005, 02:44 AM
BTW - The NA Series II 3800 suffered more intake poblems than the SC version due to the flaky plastic upper intake manifold (UIM) and gaskets. GM cured that problem by going to an all aluminum intake manifold on the Series III 3800.

I haven't experienced a leaky intake manifold gasket with any of the seven 3.8 L's I've had, but two of the three supercharged versions developed leaky oil pan gaskets (1998 and 2000 GS) which had to be replaced. What's been your repair experience with that issue bnaylor?

BNaylor
12-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I haven't experienced a leaky intake manifold gasket with any of the seven 3.8 L's I've had, but two of the three supercharged versions developed leaky oil pan gaskets (1998 and 2000 GS) which had to be replaced. What's been your repair experience with that issue bnaylor?

The issue of the UIM problems on the NA Series II 3800 is well documented and has been the subject a GM TSB for years now. Eventually, it warranted enough attention by GM to correct it on the new Series III 3800 with a new intake system design. If you check the intake manifold on your LaCrosse it is now aluminum.

On the issue of oil pan gaskets to include valve cover gaskets common problem on both versions. I had both oil pan and valve cover gaskets replaced on my L67 equipped Grand Prix GTP. Oil pan gasket on '99 LS at 80K miles and the valve cover gaskets are just starting to leak at 109K miles. On my '01 GS no leaking gaskets and I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic since the first oil change. However, I have low mileage on the GS but time will tell.

-Josh-
02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I warrantied over $130,000 in intakes alone last year with ONE extended warranty company. That's about $350 a pop for labor and parts. You do the math. Lately it seems like we've been getting a lot of 3800's needing a new nose cone for the supercharger because of bearing failure. Valve covers are recommended when doing an intake repair because they're usually not to far behind. Also the intake bolts need to be replaced being that they're a large part of the leaking problem.

BNaylor
02-15-2006, 08:48 AM
I warrantied over $130,000 in intakes alone last year with ONE extended warranty company. That's about $350 a pop for labor and parts. You do the math. Lately it seems like we've been getting a lot of 3800's needing a new nose cone for the supercharger because of bearing failure. Valve covers are recommended when doing an intake repair because they're usually not to far behind. Also the intake bolts need to be replaced being that they're a large part of the leaking problem.

Interesting info Josh. I replaced my snout bearings and seals at around 80K miles. What is helpful for long SC life is to change out the supercharger oil more frequently. I do all of my L67s once a year. I found the dealers only check the oil level and add oil when you take it in for service at 30K intervals.

I would say that is one major reason for premature SC failure.

Add your comment to this topic!