AWD 300zx...?

Prelude300zx
09-25-2005, 12:37 AM
AWD 300zx...has it ever been done? Would a rear wheel drive to all-wheel drive conversion be possible? I imagine an awd stock 300zxTT would easily cut into the 12's in the 1/4 Mile, and also be a turning monster. Would this be possible, and if so; any price estimates? I found a guy who can get me the whole front car of a 300zx from japan, so it's on Jap. specs. Including the whole front body/bumper. The car was split in half, and he'll sell me the whole front for 1,700 shipped, the engine has approximately 67,000 miles with pulled, so it may need a timing belt. and he'll drop in the engine/hook up everything for 400 in labor, over the course of 2 weeks in labor. It has the side mount intercoolers, the turbos, all the piping, entire engine; so I should have most of the things I need for my TT swap. Would a near 70,000 miles TT engine be worth the 2,100 dollar swap? I wouldn't want to do it, then have to spend another 1,200 on new turbos, and another 950 on intercoolers, and 300 for a timing belt in the *near* future. Since I live in chicago, I want a reliable driver. I'm probably staying in chicago for college, I will be driving my car probably about 6,000-8,000 miles per year max, since I still have my prelude. Half of the year it either rains or snows, and I don't want to spend this much cash for a car that's only drivable 4-5 months out of the year. With snow coming..can a 300zx TT drive, at all, with maybe some snow tires, and some sand bags in the trunk? or should I just forget about driving it in chicago snow weather? AWD option? Thanks.

k3smostwanted
09-25-2005, 01:21 AM
AWD 300zx...has it ever been done? Would a rear wheel drive to all-wheel drive conversion be possible? I imagine an awd stock 300zxTT would easily cut into the 12's in the 1/4 Mile, and also be a turning monster. Would this be possible, and if so; any price estimates? I found a guy who can get me the whole front car of a 300zx from japan, so it's on Jap. specs. Including the whole front body/bumper. The car was split in half, and he'll sell me the whole front for 1,700 shipped, the engine has approximately 67,000 miles with pulled, so it may need a timing belt. and he'll drop in the engine/hook up everything for 400 in labor, over the course of 2 weeks in labor. It has the side mount intercoolers, the turbos, all the piping, entire engine; so I should have most of the things I need for my TT swap. Would a near 70,000 miles TT engine be worth the 2,100 dollar swap? I wouldn't want to do it, then have to spend another 1,200 on new turbos, and another 950 on intercoolers, and 300 for a timing belt in the *near* future. Since I live in chicago, I want a reliable driver. I'm probably staying in chicago for college, I will be driving my car probably about 6,000-8,000 miles per year max, since I still have my prelude. Half of the year it either rains or snows, and I don't want to spend this much cash for a car that's only drivable 4-5 months out of the year. With snow coming..can a 300zx TT drive, at all, with maybe some snow tires, and some sand bags in the trunk? or should I just forget about driving it in chicago snow weather? AWD option? Thanks.

you might as well forget about driving it on snow. you can drive it in the winter on nice days but as far a ice and snow go...big no no. I live about 50 miles south of chicago by the way.

as for your AWD conversion...you will need and all new custom AWD system made to fit the car or the car yould have to be made to fit a Skyline GTR AWD system. either way good luck and look to spend well over $15k in labor and parts. as far as it being done, i remember reading somewhere that it was done by a tuning company in Japan but have never seen anything state side.

as for your TT swap...sounds good but dont be surprised of something on the clip needs replace or something goes bad. any used engine you buy isnt going to be predictable. i bought a JDM TT engine that supposedly had 25k miles on it. well i dont think it did and reguardless both turbos were seized and had blown oil seals. not to mention all of the other miscallaneous problems and things that needed replaced. but $2200 is a great deal beings the going price on front clips is $3000.

good luck...

DeleriousZ
09-25-2005, 03:42 AM
awd 300zx? no... you could import an r34 gtr for less than it would cost to convert :p

freakonaleash1187
09-25-2005, 08:35 AM
anything can be done with the right amount of money. is it practical to convert the Z to awd? no. i wouldnt plan on driving the Z in the snow, i got caught once in the snow in my N/A and anything with a grade of over 5 degrees i had trouble going up.

longlivetheZ
09-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Just buy a VR-4...lol

xXxRocker5150
09-25-2005, 11:33 AM
^lol, I'm sure he'd love a car that he'd co-own with his mechanic.

k3smostwanted
09-25-2005, 04:31 PM

:lol: damn mitsubishi and their common problematic cars. :D

freakonaleash1187
09-25-2005, 04:59 PM

wow, that has to be one of the most ownage i have seen in a long time.

longlivetheZ
09-25-2005, 06:05 PM
lol

xXxRocker5150
09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
actually when I had my 3k, for the short lived time that I did, I never had ne problems with it....

but it's kinda true with all the guys I talk to on the 3k forums, their cars are always outa commision

longlivetheZ
09-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Never got the point of having a car that never runs...no matter how fast it is when it is running.

apostrophe28
09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
see i think about 1/3 of the fun of owning a Z is the rwd, just being able to throw it around corners and such...the other 2/3 consisting of the power and history

k3smostwanted
09-28-2005, 01:56 AM
see i think about 1/3 of the fun of owning a Z is the rwd, just being able to throw it around corners and such...the other 2/3 consisting of the power and history

dont forget sex appeal :naughty:

Yaggus
09-28-2005, 06:01 AM
see i think about 1/3 of the fun of owning a Z is the rwd, just being able to throw it around corners and such

Throw it around corners?? If you through a Z32 around a corner then the ass gets slide happy. AWD you can throw around corners because you have so much grip. The rwd in my Z32 scared me. I dont like losing traction halfway round a corner....

freakonaleash1187
09-28-2005, 07:15 AM
thats the fun of RWD, being able to get the back-end out whenever you want. that feeling of just sliding is addicting.

DeleriousZ
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
thats the fun of RWD, being able to get the back-end out whenever you want. that feeling of just sliding is addicting.

agreed... my tires are starting to hate me as i seem to be sliding around a lot more... damn lead foot

longlivetheZ
09-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I know how that was. The tires that were on my Z31T when I bought it were so bad that I could pretty easily get sideways on dry ground...in THIRD GEAR...lots of fun when you're out fuckin around but that thing was down right horrifying in the rain.

apostrophe28
09-29-2005, 07:02 PM
yea i know what your saying, my tires are slowly getting thiner everyweek...

DeleriousZ
09-29-2005, 07:15 PM
yeah, i really shouldn't be because my one tire is patched(rear left)... but i don't really want to switch it to the front as it has a different brand of tire on the front left and i can't switch sides because they're unidirectional tires.... oh well.. i guess it's a good thing... otherwise i'd be tempted to try a burnout or something, and i really shouldn't be doing that kinda stuff anyway:p

longlivetheZ
09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
YES YOU SHOULD!!! You're one of the BLESSED ONES that's fortunate enough to have a Z31 with a factory LSD!!! I'd be nuking them ALL the TIME...lol. I still did a nice one wheel wonder from time to time...lol...got kinda good at it after a while.

apostrophe28
09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
okay speaking of which im buying this z31 off my friend its 87 non turbo, the z31 had a lsd only after 4/87 right? or am i just making that up

longlivetheZ
10-01-2005, 09:13 AM
That's right, and it's only in the Turbo models. NAs didn't come with an LSD through the whole run of Z31s.

apostrophe28
10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
damn! can you swap out the regular diff. w./ the LSD?

DeleriousZ
10-01-2005, 01:32 PM
yep, it's pretty easy if you're just swapping in the regular clutch style lsd from a turbo model... gets a bit more in depth if you want to swap in the viscous lsd from the shiro

longlivetheZ
10-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Sure. www.courtesyparts.com offers new R200 clutch type LSDs. They bolt right in. They're the exact same thing that's in there now. They're not way cheap, but they're not un-affordable, either. Plus, there's no better than NEW!

Add your comment to this topic!