Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stroker kit pros and cons

dominate9
05-13-2002, 08:53 PM
What are the pros and cons of a stroker kit? (I'm planning to get one for my F22B1)

EventHorizon
05-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Your likely to gain good HP in low and mid-range RPMs but likely to loose it in the uppers. It all depends on what type of performance you are looking for. If you want to drag race, go for the stroke. If you want highway fun, go w/ a turbo. Just MHO though.

dominate9
05-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by EventHorizon
Your likely to gain good HP in low and mid-range RPMs but likely to loose it in the uppers. It all depends on what type of performance you are looking for. If you want to drag race, go for the stroke. If you want highway fun, go w/ a turbo. Just MHO though.

Actually, I was thinking about doing both. I figured that they would work hand and hand.

drift
05-17-2002, 04:51 PM
turbo and stroker kits dont work together well. by increasing stroke, you reduce it's high rev capability. due to this, you remain in gear for shorter periods of time, not necessarily good for turbo in manual transmission vehicles. you also weaken the motor due to longer rods and an oversquare rod/stroke ratio.

the F22 is already oversquare enough... stroking it will make it worse.

adding a turbo on an already weak motor is a recipe for disaster, hence why it isnt used elsewhere.

you're better off destroking it to 2 litres or getting an H22.

wagsaccordsir
05-19-2002, 08:31 AM
Dude if you got an F22 that is perfect for a turbo application, the compression ratio is superb.. It is 8.8:1, so you could actually get up to 20 lbs of boost. If you bore and stroke that engine, your compression will change and you will lose the amount of boost that can be applied. Besides what will it cost to bore and stroke? Then you figure a good turbo set up from www.overboost.com is gonna run you 3-5 grand. If I were you I would invest in the H22a, granted its compression ratio is 10.6:1 so its not too adequate for applying a turbo, it can be done, you could still apply about 6 lbs of boost. If you then invest in cams, cam gears, and a new pulley set-up, and a port and polish, dude you will be one of the fastest sleepers in your town. I am, I have a 97 4dr Accord, and peoples jaws drop when I finish a race.. All because of that sweet ass H22, with a few inexpensive mods. Besides when you go turbo, one you find yourself in a different class, one that most likely an F22 will get its ass kicked and two, if your street racing, everyone will know what you have because they will be able to see the intercooler. And trust me unless you got money to blow, I have never seen anyone mount just an intercooler just for looks, its a waste of money. You may as well buy the H22 and make heads turn.

Add your comment to this topic!