Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 ford starter, flywheel....mess!!!!!!

morgan1962
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Ok, Guys. My ex husband has an "86 ford f250. In the last couple of months he has replaced the starter 4 times and the flywheel once. All done in the convernience of my driveway. The question? Why? Why does he keep going thru starters? They're chuwing up the fly wheel and he has to forever get under it to mess with the starter to get it going again....(temporarily).

wafrederick
09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Is he replacing them with cheap ones(from AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts),there is one answer.Is a manual or Automatic transmission?That is the differance in Ford starters.Your ex husband has to specify if it is an automatic or manual transmission when going to the auto parts store when getting a new one.

morgan1962
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
he is not replacing them himself.....and he has an automatic trans. He does not know how to do it himself, he has had friends and mechanics do it for him. Thank good ness a lot of his friends are mechanics. Unfortunately they haven't a clue and have suggested that he tries the Ford website, but I found nothing on it relating to problems of this kind.

truckdude239
09-22-2005, 11:45 PM
he is not replacing them himself.....and he has an automatic trans. He does not know how to do it himself, he has had friends and mechanics do it for him. Thank good ness a lot of his friends are mechanics. Unfortunately they haven't a clue and have suggested that he tries the Ford website, but I found nothing on it relating to problems of this kind.

i had the problem on my truck but what had happened was the bellhouse on my transmission was warped and threrwing the start out of aliment with the flywheel in turn eatting everything up.

Add your comment to this topic!