Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing Hitch Installation: What installer is better?

GuillermoR
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Dear Forum,

The installation of a towing hitch in my Forester 2004 2.X5 by dealers range from$345 to $609.99 including parts and labor except the ball.
At the other hand, Uhaul (Rent trucks company) charges only $272.00 including parts, labor and the ball.

Already, I have contacted Subaru about that issue, and they told me if any after installation trouble arises, they will not pay any repair.

In this cost/benefit issue what would be the best option:

Pay the less expensive dealer's installation or go to the more affordable Uhaul installer.

Thank you in advance for your kind insights.

Guillermo

speediva
09-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Don't bother with Uhaul in my opinion (not subaru related, however). You should be able to pick up a better quality tow hitch and put it on yourself. Should bolt right up, but I haven't looked under my 05 yet to make sure my prediction is correct.

I plan on putting on a hitch soon, so I will try to check back and see what happened with your choice!

GuillermoR
10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Thank you SaturnTangerine for your kind and helpful feedback. When you have a time, please let me know on your experience installing the trailer hitch by yourself.

Grateful,

Guillermo

Michael Henderson
10-13-2005, 06:52 AM
A "Hidden Hitch" or a "Draw Tite" should cost about $125 - $175 shipped to you. Installation of either is a No-Drill, minimal tools proposition. It should only take about one hour to do and can be done in your garage or driveway. When you purchase the hitch you should also buy a
T-connector for your trailer lights. These are very easy to install. You simply unplug a connector in your existing wiring harness and plug the t-Connector in it's place. The tail then connects to whatever trailer you are towing.

Do a little research on the two hitches mentioned. You may even find the installation instructions posted online. If you can change your oil and you can get someone to help hold the hitch in place until you put in a couple of bolts; you should have no trouble installing the hitch.

GuillermoR
10-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for your helpful information.
After, I got a serious warning from Subaru Manufacturer about no paying any repair if troubles arise after the trailer hitch be installed by a non-authorized installer, I decided to play sure. Then, I installed the towing hitch one week ago at John Elways Subaru in Golden, Colorado. They were the lowest bid among other Subaru Dealers. I Paid $348 including tax, labor and parts. After, I bought the ball at local hardware store Harbor Freight Tools by $5 and also I bought at Wal-Mart ($5) a wire sealer to protect better the wires before winter begins.

Thank you again for your time, effort and kindness.

Guillermo

speediva
10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Glad to hear about your decision!

Thanks for the update!

Add your comment to this topic!