Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak bet ween #2--#3 cylinder @head/ block 'joint'

1redryder1
09-22-2005, 12:06 PM
my 'bunny' has begun to 'bleed @ at juncture of the head and the engine block'...... i despise a vehicle leaving 'marks when it is parked'!
i have a 'haynes' and a 'how to keep your rabbit alive'
manuals. none of which address 'oil leaks'---------must be a rare
bunny that leaks @ this area.
HAS ANYONE OVERCOME THIS LEAK BEFORE, AND ARE WIILING TO 'SHARE' THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH ME!
thanx-----red----LAE1027@AOL.COM

boschmann
09-22-2005, 07:35 PM
There's an oil passage to the head there, head gasket replacement is your only choice.

1redryder1
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
not exactly the answer i'd hoped for! thanx for your prompt response.
from your experience, since this is a new leak, do these leaks get progressively more serious in volume, or do they continue to 'bleed'?

this 'bunny' uses about a quart in 3,000 miles, oil changes are at 3,000 miles like-clock-work, doesn't smoke on-start-up or during sustained 55+ mph driving----has 190k miles, gets 45 to 50 mpg.
my first diesel, and first VW..............color-me-satisfied!

ANOTHER QUESTION-should i 'do-a-timing-belt-replacement' just to stay ahead of the CURVE or is there a warning bell???

thanx----red----

termitesgraffix
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, it will get worse. The head gasket has alot of pressure on it. "Luckily" you have a crack on the outside leaking oil only. But see, the head gasket seals the passages of the oil, the coolant, and the combustion chamber. You need to replace it. While you have the head off, the timing belt will already be disconnected, so change it. Might as well change your water pump while you are at it, and then drop the oil pan and change the oil pump.

Things that could happen, if you don't replace the gasket.
The crack leadind to the outside could slowly push it's way through to the coolant chamber and milkyness will occur in the oil pan and radiator. Then, the car won't cool properly, and the water will get in the oil and cause internal rust. Then, ooh it gets better, it may even start to brake into the combustion chamber. That will start all new deals. You can get oil leaking into there, which not only will drop the combustion ratio and reduce performance, but will also smoke all kinds of black. Or, you could get coolant leaking into the combustion chamber, making a blueish, sweet smelling exhaust. Won't that be fun and embarrasing? Or both coolant and oil in the combustion chamber. Are you replacing it yet? I hope you are.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!