Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter problems

starwar636
09-22-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm not too good with cars so I've been going on forums posting this, hoping someone can help me out. Lately I've been having starter problems with my car. Basically I can start it, but if I stop it and come back a few minutes later and start it, it won't be able to get going. But, if I wait about another 15-20 min, it'll be fine again.
I've heard that sometimes there might be too much gas trapped inside the engine so the car can't get started and what you need to do is release the gas. Can this be the problem with my car, and if it is, where is the plug for releasing the gas? (my car is a 1990 honda accord ex)

mpumas
09-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I would look to the ignition coil and/or igniter in the distributor.

rrruschman
09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Look at the fuel main relay it is above the left of the steering column and all the way up under the dash these are common for having problems if you have a manual it will show you where it is there is a simple test for this also another easy way is the next time it does it squirt starting fluid down the vacum hose at the throttle body if it starts for second or two then it is the relay

mpumas
09-27-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't understand rrushman's post. If the main relay is the problem, how does squirting fluid down a vacum hose on the throttle body solve the problem. I guess he is saying that if the fuel pump is not working, then injecting fuel through a vacum hose will cause the engine to fire for a moment. You can also check the fuel pump by measuring fuel pressure. If you have about 45 psi, the fuel pump is working.

rrruschman
09-28-2005, 08:26 AM
The fuel pump relay or main relay they like to call it is a common issue for going out they like to slowly go out first acting up in such the manner that he has described eventually acting up on hot days not starting and on a cool morning starting. The relay is attached to the underside of the dash against the top the heat from the sun beats down on the dash and causes this to act up when the relay is going bad and it sounds like he has the first signs of this very rarely is it the pump that goes almost all the time it is the relay .

bjd088
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
The relay is what tells the fuel pump to turn on when the car is turned on, Squirting starting fluid into the engine bacically bypasses the pump for a second or two. This tells you if the fuel pump is turning on, if not then check the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!