Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smallest bumps cause clanking

davidk333
09-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some ideas on what could be the problem.

Isuzu Rodeo 2WD 3.2L V6 4 door 2001 currently at 86k miles.

Whenever I go over even the smallest little bump (as small as half an inch tall or so), I
1. hear a moderate to soft “clank” or “tick” noise. (from near the front tires … I think).
2. can feel the little bumps.

I started to notice it about 1 year ago.
When I first purchased it and for about 3 years afterwards, I had no such problems.
I can not hear the noise when I have the windows closed but once I open them, and go over bumps, the sound is very noticeable.
Of course, I can always feel the bumps whether I have the windows open or not.

On some of the roads in southern California, it feels like I’m driving an old raggedy car as the car seems to clunk along according to everyone little imperfection on the road.

As far as large bumps go, I think the car handles them fine as there seems to be no excessive “bouncing” of the car after the bump. So I tend to think the shocks are still good. Although it may be that I have just gotten used to it over time. But then again, I have asked a few of my friends if they think there is excessive bounce and they have replied no. (meaning it is same as their newer SUVs).

Any ideas or past experiences would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

amigo-2k
09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
It could be the sway bar rubbing against shock.

Or your body mount could be lose.

If you still have the OEM shocks replace them.

Cat Fuzz
09-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Are the center caps on your wheel loose?

rodeo02
09-22-2005, 04:09 PM
All good suggestions. Check your sway bar links, shock mounts, ball joints, tie-rod ends and wheel bearings. Most of those are covered by the 10yr/120Kmi warranty!
G/luck
Joel

brielly
09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I had a similar sound and it turned out to be the c clip on the axle came loose. It was just ckanking around in there.

Cereal_Killer
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I had a similar sound and it turned out to be the c clip on the axle came loose. It was just ckanking around in there.

I just had this same thing happen. Every bump made a terrible rattle.

Add your comment to this topic!