Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 L300 Ignition problem...key won't turn

earthangel_vp
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
About a month ago, I was out doing an errand, and when I got in my car to leave, the key would not turn at all. I tried moving the steering wheel, but that didn't work. I tried everything I could think of, and after about 15 minutes I gave up for fear of breaking the key off in the ignition. A friend finally got the thing to turn, and he said it seemed like the key didn't fit. So I went home and got my spare keys and have been using them, as they are newer and not as worn. Well last week, this same thing happened three times. The key will go in, but will not turn. The steering wheel is not locked so I know that is not the problem. And eventually it does turn, so it must be that it is not connecting to something. I know nothing about cars...do you think I need to have my ignition replaced? Either way, what may have caused this?

Scale-Master
08-25-2006, 11:48 AM
My 06 Vue does that, but it's because the dealer cut the wrong key for a replacement and it damaged the ignition switch.
The cylinder was replaced because it was binding, now with the new cylinder it's worse and won't turn at all.
Sad thing is Saturn refuses to fix it, even though I had to leave the car at the dealership because it lock up there twice!
Imagine, they gave me a rental at their cost, but still refuse to fix it because "it doesn't have a problem". If there was no problem why send me off with a rental?! Pretty sad for a 6 week old car......
The car sits undrivable with no support from Saturn corporate, even less from the dealer, well heck, they caused the problem! They did manage to scratch it a couple times when they weren't fixing it and returned it dirty when it was brought in clean.

Ticked off? You bet I am!

PlayStation3
08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
my 96 sl2 does that sometimes. what i do is move the steering wheel slightly to the right and hold it there with your left hand and start the car with your right hand. and i never lock my steering wheel

Add your comment to this topic!