Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt slipped? Does it hurt engine?

91esinga
09-21-2005, 06:56 AM
I guess I got a slipped timing belt, The timing marks are like at the top instead of facing each other in the middle. My question is, if the timing has slipped on a 1996 2.0 DOHC engine, does that cause the valves to hit the pistons and warp em? Thanks

Mazor
10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Well it can, how did it slip that far, if it did slip that far, it could do it again causing your engine not to start, miss fire, back fire you name it

BCUZICN
10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
it should be ok, i believe the mazda engines in those years were designed with non interference pistons so it shouldnt cause damage, but i wouldnt drive it with the marks off like that, get it fixed and find out why they are moving before it gets fixed, could be bad bearings slowing down cam, ect.

a1waytrip
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
2.0 dohc??? lol, if you've got the gt you have the 2.5 dohc, or if you have se you have 2.0 sohc. both should be ok if the timing belt breaks, being the 2.0 is a 4 cylender, and the 2.5 is a non-interference engine, so no worries about it screwing too much up if it goes... however, i would never drive my car if the timing belt slipped a tooth.. not a good idea, get it fixed asap, and replace the tensioner arm when you do it.
-Tom

shawnwilliams
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM
i now for sure you just have to get a new belt and re-timed and its fine, the gt and base models wont cause any damage dont to it.

cberbes
12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
2.0 dohc??? lol, if you've got the gt you have the 2.5 dohc, or if you have se you have 2.0 sohc. both should be ok if the timing belt breaks, being the 2.0 is a 4 cylender, and the 2.5 is a non-interference engine, so no worries about it screwing too much up if it goes... however, i would never drive my car if the timing belt slipped a tooth.. not a good idea, get it fixed asap, and replace the tensioner arm when you do it.
-Tom

Why are you laughing? The 2.0L 4-cyl IS a DOHC. One intake cam and one exhaust cam = Dual Over Head Cam.

To answer the question, if your car is obviously running crappy, then yes your belt most likely slipped a tooth or two. If it isn't running or starting, then it skipped a few teeth, or broke the belt. The 2.0L DOHC is not an interference engine, so a slipped or broken timing belt is NOT going to cause any valve or piston damage.

You can replace the belt yourself in your driveway, but expect to take a day of so to do it...depending on your experience. I would highly recommend lifting the engine out of the bay slightly. Lift up the front right corner of the car, use a block on the oil pan, lower the car so the pan rests firmly on the block. You can use a good floor jack to lower and raise the car, causing the engine to raise or lower in the engine bay. Obviously you need to remove the right upper mount to lift the engine, but doing so makes things VERY easy. I would also recommend getting a cam-stop tool that rests between the two cams, keeping them in place when you start putting on the new belt. Remove the upper and lower covers, crank pully, all belts, water pump pully, valve cover, and timing belt tensioner. You need to rotate the tensioner to remove the tensioner spring, then remove the belt. Be sure to line up the marks on the crank and oil pump, and the I and E marks on the cams. I did it on my mothers car Sat, but I didn't use the cam-stop and ended up putting it out of time. I redid it today and it only took under 3 hours from start to finish.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!