Metal Flakes in Transmission Fluid

cactuar167
09-20-2005, 05:30 PM
yea, this is a sad day for me...I changed my fluid out, ive been using the correct fluid, and found tiny metal flakes in the bottom of the pan, some in the filter too. My question is if you have had metal flakes in your tranny fluid, how long did it take your jeep to crap out on you? or is it still running and after how many miles? Any ways to prolong the transmission life? increase fluid change intervals?

Mine is a 96 jgcl..i think i have the 42re auto I6. have about 112,000 miles on it. thanks for the help!

JDPascal
09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I changed my fluid out, ive been using the correct fluid, and found tiny metal flakes in the bottom of the pan, some in the filter too.

How much of this is there???

This is a situation that some transmission shops like to exploit. They will tell you that your transmission is on the brink of failure.

Do not believe them.

Especially if the transmission is shifting and operating fine.

Some debree is normal, especially if this is the first fluid/filter change. Put in the new (correct) fluid and let it go untill you have a real complaint.

All this is also dependent on fluid condition -like - does it smell burnt or not?

The Chrylser line of transmissions used in JGC's also need to have band adjustments done periodicaly. Because of the special tools needed, take it to the dealer after you have run the new fluid for a few kmiles. Dropping the new fluid to do the adjustment will allow you to replace more of the old fluid you left in at the last change and they won't bug you about the stuff you found in the pan- unless there really is a problem.

JD

cactuar167
09-20-2005, 07:34 PM
aww nice JD...when i changed my fluid out i didnt see that much really...nothing that got me scared. the only other time ive changed the fluid i siphoned it out and i probly didnt catch any flakes. that would make sense for some flakes to be there b/c of the amount of miles. Im going to take it to the dealer and get those bands adjusted...see what they say...and if they find new metal flakes. thanks bro!

theFREAKnasty82
09-22-2005, 03:17 AM
metal flakes are the indication of your torque converter starting to gradually pull itself apart. Whenever your in 4th gear, the torque converter locks up and that has in the past worn away at the stator & turbine of the torque converter. This is common b/c everytime I service an older Chrysler A-500 or A-518 transmission, I'll notice those little metal flakes. If it's big flakes, then you'll need to get a new TC soon. If not, you'll be able to get by.

JeepForever
09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
On my '94 Jeep GC I dropped the pan and changed the trans fluid most recently at around 150K miles. There were no metal particles in the fluid at that time, except there were a few particles in the filter (might have come in from the dipstick when it was filled with fluid). I had trouble at around 165K, and ultimately had to have it rebuilt within about 1000 miles of symptoms (trouble shifting, etc.).
I asked the trans shop if I should have done a full FLUSH rather than drop the pan and change what's in the pan. He said, "only if you want to ruin your transmission". Apparently there's some concern that on an OLDER transmission, a FULL FLUSH will release particles into the transmission and cause it to fail even faster. I agree with prior postings, that if there are particles, you might want to drop the pan and check the filter sooner, but don't let someone talk you into a new transmission if you don't have any sign of problems while driving.

JeepForever
09-22-2005, 10:35 AM
One more thought...
There's usually a donut-shaped magnet in the tranny pan, which should catch larger metal flakes. You might want to inspect this if you drop the pan.

Add your comment to this topic!