Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 accord auto trans TCU error codes

woodchuckc
09-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Greetings,
I have a 91 accord with an auto transmission (282,000 miles), and have been having transmission problems - intermittantly the speedo will drop to zero then start reading again, the green "S" light on the dash will start flashing and it feels like the trans drops out of 4th gear. Occasionally when the car is started the green "S" will be lit immediately, and it feels like the trans starts out in 2nd gear (I assume this is a default failsafe condition). I cleared the codes and jumpered the service connector, and I get an error code of 4 short flashes of the green "S" (the check engine light does not flash). Can anyone tell me what this error code indicates, or is there a chart for the TCU error codes out there somewhere?

Thanks!
-Chuck

gitter44
09-20-2005, 01:57 PM
You need a new speed sensor.

woodchuckc
09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks, gitter, but I replaced that already and while it seemed to cure the speedo issue for the time I had it in there, it did not cure the times when the car would start out with the "S" light on from the beginning. I took out the sensor and put the old one back in since it didn't cure the whole problem and just figured it was time to junk the car (282,000 miles is pretty good, but it may be time for retirement). It turns out I need to use the car for a little longer before I can get something else, so I was hoping to get the error code for the TCU to find out if there was some other component that is kaput. My guess is that it is both the speed sensor and the TCU, but I'd like to make sure that both need to be replaced before doing any more plug and play.

-Chuck

Add your comment to this topic!