Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 shadow wont start

redgas
09-20-2005, 12:58 AM
hi i have a very big? to ask i only have exp. working on gms and fords i just got this 91 shadow for free but wane i go to start it just the starter come on the motor does nothing it wired the start works good but the motor does nothing it does not try to start it does nothing just the start comes on does any one know any thing about this. ty

SikEnCide
09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
well does it make the winding noise of it attempting to turn over if so it could be the timing belt very common problem. onyl other problems i cna think of are 1. the engine is siezed. or 2. the starter is bad. ide say check the timing belt and hte starter first.

redgas
09-21-2005, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=redgas]hi i have a very big? to ask i only have exp. working on gms and fords i just got this 91 shadow for free but wane i go to start it just the starter come on the motor does nothing it wired the start works good but the motor does nothing it does not try to start it does nothing just the start comes on does any one know any thing about this. ty[/QUOT
the thing behind the fly wheel is not making contake to the flywheel

SikEnCide
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
uhm u mean the transmition ?

redgas
09-22-2005, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=redgas]hi i have a very big? to ask i only have exp. working on gms and fords i just got this 91 shadow for free but wane i go to start it just the starter come on the motor does nothing it wired the start works good but the motor does nothing it does not try to start it does nothing just the start comes on does any one know any thing about this. ty[/QUOT
the thing behind the fly wheel is not making contake to the flywheel
i know wane u trun the timing belt by a bolt u can put you finger on the flywhell and it will not trun

SikEnCide
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
to tell you the truth i havnt got a clue on what it is. try buying a haynes repair book for your shadow. also wat engine and transmition setup do u have?

redgas
09-25-2005, 12:32 PM
i know wane u trun the timing belt by a bolt u can put you finger on the flywhell and it will not trun

its a 2.2 l and a auto

SikEnCide
09-25-2005, 01:35 PM
well im really not sure.

DaYtOnAt2
10-26-2005, 02:07 AM
What bolt are you turning the timing belt with? The ONLY bolt you should use to rotate the engine is the crank gear bolt, which would turn the flywheel too, as it is bolted to the crank after all. ONLY in a clockwise direction. And ONLY with the transmission in neutral. Remove the upper timing cover and make sure the timing belt has not broken. After that check to make sure the battery is good. Have it tested, don't just hook your meter/light to it. Even a weak battery could show 12v or light up a test light. After that, check your wire connections. All of them. Even the grounds. Now check the relay. If you haven't found the problem by now get ready for the fun job of replacing a starter on a 2.2... :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!