Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brakes (new post)

lemans-a-holic
09-19-2005, 06:59 PM
ok so my 72 lemans has all around drum brakes...to improve stopping...would i b able to just add a brake booster?

MrPbody
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Adding a booster will decrease pedal effort. It will not increase braking power. Adding disc brakes will help more than any other modification.

Jim

lemans-a-holic
09-20-2005, 09:11 PM
lol that will help...considering i need like a cinderblock to keep the pedal down

ramairgto72
01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
For race you can't beat drums, sounds silly but drums don't drag like disks do.

I just poasted in another link about cheap rear disk setup, so I will try to give you some info for you if you ever want to change to a safer setup.

You can find on ebay a company that sells the plates to add your own rotor and such
Ebay Item number: 8026457641

As for the front it's easy to find the spindles and rotors at junk yards or on ebay, it's an easy switch that should use reg hand tools and a jack, you only have to remove the upper and lower ball joint NUT, and the break line, and tie rod ends.

If you want to goto a bigger disk you can use B body spindles or even F body, however you will have to use a different lower ball joint, as the angle will eat your stock ball joint.

I have done lots of drums, and I hate them, those dam springs seem to snap the ends off , and the fact that you need to "work" on them vs disks 2 bolts and i'm done.

Good luck I hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!