Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine turns but then stalls

djscooby
09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The other day I parked my 2000 alero in the driveway, and it was running fine. It had rained that night, and the next morning the keyless remote wouldn't work. I opened the door manually noticing the dome light didn't turn on. I stuck the key in the ignition and proceeded to turn the car on. It turned over and then a second later it stalled out. The fuel pump seems to be working because I can here it fill upwhen I have the key in the on position. The door locks, trunk release, and inside lights do not work; all fuses seem to be fine. Service engine soon and service vehical soon lights are on. Did the rain short some component of the computer out which regulates the fuel pump and that area of the electrical switches or what? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JTrujillo86
09-20-2005, 03:10 AM
Anytime the key is in the 'ON' position without the car started, theh Service Engine Soon light stays on. I don't think that it would be on had the car started, so nothing engine related. Because the Service Vehicle Soon light is on I would check the fuse relay box under the hood, especially since the keyless entry didnt work.

Jeremy

djscooby
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I already checked the fuses under the hood. I can't detect any problems with any of the relays or fuses. The service engine soon light is on when the car is running for that split second. It's a weird combo of problems both electrical and mechanical which leads me to believe that it's a computer malfunction. Thanks for the help and if you have any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!