need to run a power wire for an amp through fire wall

bigtallbiscuit
09-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm looking for the best way to run a power wire for an amp through the firewall. If anybody has done this in the past and has any suggestions, i'd sure appreciate it.

Towncar
09-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm looking for the best way to run a power wire for an amp through the firewall. If anybody has done this in the past and has any suggestions, i'd sure appreciate it.

Most people, myself included, find an existing weather boot and poke a new hole in it for the wire.

I personally prefer the throttle cable boot 'cause every one I've had to deal with was rediculously oversized and easy to get to.

Just make sure your installation won't interfere with normal operations, or come anywhere near metal surfaces that can cut or rub through your new cable's insulation.

Fuse the battery end just to be safe.

bchabue
11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I ran mine through the door panel first so I wouldn't have to deal with the firewall. It's alot quicker to rip out too if you don't plan on keeping the car long.

cobradude360
11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
i took and ran my 4 gauge amp wire through an existing weather boot on the pssenger side fire wall just drilled theough it and ran the wire through clean and easy install

Remnar 87
12-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Personally, I like to keep the trim removal down to a minimum. On my 88 Town Car I ran an amp power cable along the frame inside some weather proof conduit, and then up through a rubber boot right behind the back seat and then into the trunk. It saves a lot of time if it's possible for you to do on your model.

Ellis D
01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Personally, I like to keep the trim removal down to a minimum. On my 88 Town Car I ran an amp power cable along the frame inside some weather proof conduit, and then up through a rubber boot right behind the back seat and then into the trunk. It saves a lot of time if it's possible for you to do on your model.

I appreciate all the great advice here on the forums. I have a couple of questions about this. I have an '88 Town Car as well and would like to know which method uses the least amount of cable since I am reusing the amp power cable from my previous car. If I run it through the frame would the cable have to be run through very front of the car? Also, I found it hard to find anywhere to run the cable. Would I have to remove any parts in order to have access to drill through a weather boot?

Add your comment to this topic!