Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to find out the reason a car was totaled?

apg96
09-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Im looking at a car taht is in great condt. but has a salvage title. The owner says it was stolen and they stole some stuff off the car that was replaced by the owner before him. But since its a salvage and all and could have a been in a large collsion (i wouldnt buy it then). I want something in writing, liek from the DMV or on the title itslef saying for the reason teh insurance company totaled it.

Also how does a salvage title effect fair market value? Like half of what it is?

drdisque
09-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I do not believe the reason for having a salvage title is documented, unless there was a police report regarding an accident with the vehicle, some states report these to carfax, so if you really want this car, you might learn something from a carfax report.

The effect of a salvage title varies widely by vehicle.

apg96
09-17-2005, 07:44 PM
i have a carfax and it just says when it was totaled and then when it was issued a salavage title. Would a mechanic be able to tell for sure?

CraigFL
09-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Every State has different conditions for salvaged vehicles. Sometimes vehicles are reported as salvaged because they have been "totalled" on paper -- too expensive to return to their original condition, by the insurance company. It could have been a very serios problem-- flood car, actual body damage or a car that's been stolen maybe stripped but the insurance company has already made a settlement.
The best information on the salvage title is from the owner at the time. Sometimes it's hard to find this person but not impossible. In any case, having it checked out by a mechanic would be advisable.

apg96
09-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I dont know who the orginal owner is. I do know however that it was the first owner who had this happen. I called the owner that i think had fixed teh car and sold it but he was very rude and did not wnat to help me out at all. If i go and like the car i would have it checked out and inspected by an independent mechanic up there. Would any mechanic be able to check or since its an audi should i try and find a german mechanic?

Add your comment to this topic!