Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Expedition problem with rear wheel "thumping" that feels like a flat tire

targethead
09-17-2005, 09:56 AM
My 1998 starting making a thumping noise and feeling like it had a flat tire on the back right wheel. The thumping has something to do with the rotation of the wheel as it speeds up and slows down with the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. Also, happens when in or out of gear. My only guess is a wheel bearing, but I honestly don't have any idea what the problem might be. Does anyone have any ideas?

boostedtbird
09-19-2005, 02:30 AM
My 1998 starting making a thumping noise and feeling like it had a flat tire on the back right wheel. The thumping has something to do with the rotation of the wheel as it speeds up and slows down with the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. Also, happens when in or out of gear. My only guess is a wheel bearing, but I honestly don't have any idea what the problem might be. Does anyone have any ideas?
hav encountered several thumping noises and usually the problem is the tire.does it also vibrate? could be separated, cupped, or have other abnormal wear.feel the entire surface of the tire with your hands to see if it feels abnormal and compare it with the other tires on your truck.never heard a wheel bearing make a thumping noise, they usually make a moaning noise.hope this helps.

johnpvb
09-25-2005, 07:37 AM
I have had same problem with my tires. One was out of round and caused a "thumping"...had it replaced under warranty. Later, I started getting loud tire noice due to uneven wear in the front. Rotating the wheels solved that problem, at least temporarily.

Be sure you maintain proper tire pressure and inspect the tire for any damage or large stones caught in the tread (can cause out of balance situation.)

shadow12one
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I have a similar problem with my Expedition. This started happening yesterday.

I took the advice mentioned above and inspected the tires. I noticed slight underinflation but nothing big. The tires didnt have any odd bumps or deformaties.

It was then I noticed on my left rear tire a nail embedded right in the middle of the tire, in between the tread. It wasnt protruding past the tread at all.

Could this nail cause these problems? If not what else could be causing them and does anyone know a way to remedy that problem.

way2old
09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Look at the brake rotors. Ford had a problem with brake material transfering to the rotor making a high spot in the rotor causing the symptoms you describe.

shadow12one
09-30-2005, 09:45 PM
I had a friend lift up the car and look at it. The problem is worse than I had thought it to be.

My U-joint in the driveshaft is messed up and doesnt want to go past a certain point easily. When it reaches that point the momentum of the car forces that rotation and thats whats causing the thumping noise.

Add your comment to this topic!