Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Toyota Camry 1991 wont start. It Just clicks

mrgrneyyez03
09-16-2005, 10:48 PM
My Toyota Camry 91 won't start. Someone please help. When I turn the key to start it it just clicks rapidly. probably does 5-10 clicks a second. The noise is coming from the engine. Maybe around the area where the starter is located. It is a continuous click until I let go of the key and stop trying to start it. Please help ...thanks...

JOET/CAMRY
09-16-2005, 11:26 PM
My Toyota Camry 91 won't start. Someone please help. When I turn the key to start it it just clicks rapidly. probably does 5-10 clicks a second. The noise is coming from the engine. Maybe around the area where the starter is located. It is a continuous click until I let go of the key and stop trying to start it. Please help ...thanks...

This is from the Camry FAQS and Information Thread. Hope this helps. :smile: JOET/CAMRY

STARTER CLICKS BUT DOES NOT TURN ENGINE

Q: Often my starter will just click and not turn over the engine. It will do this for a long time, but eventually it will act normally. Is this a common problem with Camrys? How can I fix it?

A: Yes, it is a common problem with Toyota starters. Many times, the problem is sticking starter solenoid contacts. See the following links for descriptions on how to replace them. This is a really cheap and easy fix on a Camry and should be the first thing you try after you check all the cable connections and the battery quality.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/

Brian R.
09-16-2005, 11:44 PM
mrgrneyyez03: Welcome to the AF!

The problem you're having is not the solenoid contacts. With bad solenoid contacts, there is only one click (the starter relay), not many. Your problem is insufficient current/voltage getting to the starter.

Most likely cause is a bad battery. Before you buy one, check the battery terminals - make sure they are on tight and they are clean. Check the connections on the other end of the battery cables for tightness and cleanliness also. If all looks good, replace the battery.

If the battery cable connections are bad, loosen them from the battery and clean them with baking soda/water slurry until they are bright metal, then reconnect them and tighten them snug. Coat them with petroleum jelly to prevent them from corrosion.

It it's possible something has been left on, like your headlights or dome light etc. and the battery may be drained/discharged, try charging it first or bring it in to have it tested before you buy a new one.

(JOET: You can't copy truncated links; they won't work. Right click on the truncated link and select "Copy Shortcut". Then paste the link in the editing window.)

Toysrme
09-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Exactly. No matter what they look like - always clean the battery terminals first.
Then replace the battery.

Those little felt pads with baking soda in them are the best 50 cents you can spend on a car!

JOET/CAMRY
09-17-2005, 01:38 AM
mrgrneyyez03: Welcome to the AF!

The problem you're having is not the solenoid contacts. With bad solenoid contacts, there is only one click (the starter relay), not many. Your problem is insufficient current/voltage getting to the starter.

Most likely cause is a bad battery. Before you buy one, check the battery terminals - make sure they are on tight and they are clean. Check the connections on the other end of the battery cables for tightness and cleanliness also. If all looks good, replace the battery.

If the battery cable connections are bad, loosen them from the battery and clean them with baking soda/water slurry until they are bright metal, then reconnect them and tighten them snug. Coat them with petroleum jelly to prevent them from corrosion.

It it's possible something has been left on, like your headlights or dome light etc. and the battery may be drained/discharged, try charging it first or bring it in to have it tested before you buy a new one.

(JOET: You can't copy truncated links; they won't work. Right click on the truncated link and select "Copy Shortcut". Then paste the link in the editing window.)
sorry about the bad link. It should be fixed now. thank you for teaching me the proper way to cut/paste a link. :smile:
a few things to check...

#1 the battery might be low on water which would eventually cause it to die. :mad: might want to check the water level. (if possible)

#2 the altenator may not put out the correct voltage. should be around 13.8 - 14.2 volts. I think I'm right about this. :confused:
ALTENATOR NOT PUTTING OUT = :crying: BATTERY.

:2cents: JOET/CAMRY

Add your comment to this topic!