Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cat conv=tranny problems?

humpty dumpty
09-16-2005, 01:08 AM
HELP!

If anyone can clue me in on wtf is going on, I'll be eternally indebted to you.

I have a 94 Rodeo 4WD with 111k on it. I bought it about 1.5 years ago, and there has always been a not quite right noise coming from presumably the exhaust system- which was made more noticeable as the rpm's rose. Then, all of the sudden, as I accelerated up a hill, the noise turned into kind of a metallic whooshing noise (like restricted air flow through a catalytic converter). A few days later, I came out to my truck to see a small puddle of ATF under it.

So, I pay $1300 to have my tranny rebuilt. The mechanic tells me an overheating problem caused a breakdown inside my tranny, and after I saw the disassembled tranny, I believed him. Prior to any work being done, I told him about the strange whooshing noise, thinking there was a correlation between the two, but he didn't think so.

Fast forward a week and another AAA call later, the truck is back in his shop. This time the tranny light and the ATF Temp light came on. He now tells me the cat is clogged and that's what caused me tranny to overheat. It sounded great the way he described it, but I have no idea what he was talking about. I asked him to just repair the damaged tranny (under warranty), and I'll have the exhaust system and cooling system looked at elsewhere.

Well, that would have been just fine with me, but that was nine weeks ago. All I've gotten for two months is the run-around on why this truck is not back in my possession. If anybody knows if there is a link between a clogged cat and a burned up tranny, please let me know. What I'd really like to know though, is what in the hell can I legally do to get my truck back from this man with a fully functioning transmission?

Thanks in advance for any help!

rodeo02
09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
A plugged catalytic converter could make your engine run hotter than normal, which will increase the heat load on your trans, as the trans and engine share the same radiator/cooling system for cooling purposes. However I doubt these two are related to your problem. The initial ATF leak was probably nothing more than a leaking accumulator piston cover, very common for the 4L30E. Running low on ATF will cook the 4L30E in a very few miles. Shops are quick to want to do a 'rebuild' for anything. Get the truck to someone you know you can trust.
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
09-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Agree 100%, sounds like the shop just wants your $$$.

Don't go to AAMCO either.

humpty dumpty
09-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.

Add your comment to this topic!