Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

diesel vs gas filler

saturnsc2
09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
my brother has a 2004 trailblazer. he said recently while on a trip, he might have accidently pumped diesel fuel in the gas tank because the diesel/gas fillers were side by side on the pump. does a diesel pump nozzle fit in an un-leaded gas filler neck?

Stan172
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
my brother has a 2004 trailblazer. he said recently while on a trip, he might have accidently pumped diesel fuel in the gas tank because the diesel/gas fillers were side by side on the pump. does a diesel pump nozzle fit in an un-leaded gas filler neck?

In the US, SAE standards set & the Clean Air Act prevent the diesel nozzle to be inserted into a vehicle labeled as "unleaded only". The diesel nozzle is larger in diameter than the unleaded filler hole, in fact it is the same size as the old leaded nozzels.
However, you sure can pump unleaded gas into a diesel, not a pretty picture. OOPS

markbair
09-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Stan is right...you are unable to fit a diesel nozzle into a gasoline filler. It is too big. And yes, I "ALMOST" did that, thank goodness it was too big and it made me re-look. The same thing happened. I hit the 87 octane button, but picked up the diesel nozzle.

Add your comment to this topic!