Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Stereo Components for '94 Integra?

PiNoY GsR RaCeR
05-11-2002, 06:12 AM
Hey, I have a '94 Integra and I plan to upgrade my stereo pretty soon. Everything audio is stock and from Acura. I want to get a new deck, front speakers, rear speakers, amplifier, and maybe two subwoofers. I am pretty new to the car audio scene and I want to know some good brands to get for the stuff I want to upgrade. I want to spend about $1000 in the whole deck, front/rear speakers, amp, and 1 or 2 subwoofers. I'm currently looking at like a Pioneer deck, you know the ones with the race cars in the animation? And maybe like two 12" subs. As far as brands and models I am not sure yet. Anybody have a opinion in a good setup? Thanks!

strodda
05-11-2002, 03:49 PM
if you want a receiver, 2 pairs of speakers, 2 amps, and a pair of subs, youre gonna have to spend more than that. unless you wanna bump a bunch of fleemarket shit. how much would you spend on each item, meaning if you only want to spend a grand, which items are more important. cause you could get a great receiver, and cheap speakers. and vise versa.

here a possible set-up, kind of a buffet of brands, but it works.

alpine cdm-7874(front & rear-non fading preamps)--$200
kenwood kfc-1787-$110/pair
alpine sws-1041d(200w rms)-$120/each
sony xm-2150gsx(190w x2 at 2ohms)-$200

total-$860 +enclosure cost

GSteg
05-11-2002, 05:16 PM
i didn't even spend over $500 bucks and i'm hitting 140.3dB. here's some tip, "Its all in the install" i installed everything myself and always double check if i did it right. you can spend $10,000 on a system, but get nothing out of it.

pioneer headunits are good. i prefer alpine better. the CDA-7893 is a great deck. the think i don't like about pioneer is the built quality. buttons dont' work after a while, skips within a few months. at least all these happened to 3 of my pioneer deck. back to the subject, here's an idea of what i would do if i had $1000 to spend.

http://www.cyberwiz.com/temp_ppicture/hotperl.84190.1021155235

total is ~$1150 if you install everything by yourself. not to mention you can get MDF (medium density fiberboard) at home depot for only $20. It's a big sheet. you'll have some left over. don't forget to port the box as they will work better in ported. if you need help on installation, come back here and you're always welcome to ask questions.:)

notice i didn't put in anything for the rear 6x9. save money on those and spend more on the front components. they will sound better.

sparq
05-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by GSteg
here's an idea of what i would do if i had $1000 to spend.Good suggestion... two thumbs up.

CXHatchback
05-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Hopefully you don't mind giving up 5.0 cu ft for those subs.

PiNoY GsR RaCeR
05-16-2002, 04:11 PM
I like that Alpine deck! Is it the bass engine series? Or, which one is the top of the line deck? Hehe, I think I want to go with an Alpine instead of a Pioneer deck.

But yea, I am willing to spend a little more than $1000 just so I can get some good quality beat coming from my subs as well. I am playing like rap music in my car so im just wondering what components are good. I want to go for like brand name subs. I hear people talking about the Alpine Type R's or Type S but are they good? Or maybe I should go for a JL audio.

Btw, I think I will hold off on the rear speakers. I'd rather get better front ones instead.

Oh yea, is it necessary to buy 2 amps? One for my front speakers and deck and one powering the subs?

CXHatchback
05-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Yes, go with JL Audio.

And yes it's good to get a separate amp for your front speakers, your HU won't do them justice. A good 50x2 amp or something will really make your fronts scream :eek:

93speed
05-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Speaking of putting an amp in the fronts, how hard is it to run those wires? I just got some new infinity's and it sounds horrible with my JVC :rolleyes: HU at high volume. I want to get a little amp to run them, but I don't want to have that big of a wiring hassle to go through.

GSteg
05-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 93speed
Speaking of putting an amp in the fronts, how hard is it to run those wires? I just got some new infinity's and it sounds horrible with my JVC :rolleyes: HU at high volume. I want to get a little amp to run them, but I don't want to have that big of a wiring hassle to go through.

u mean hooking up the amp or wiring the wires from the amp to the speaker?

93speed
05-16-2002, 05:44 PM
I know how to wire the amp, I just want to know how hard it is to run the speaker wires to the speaker in the door.

GSteg
05-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 93speed
I know how to wire the amp, I just want to know how hard it is to run the speaker wires to the speaker in the door.

from 1-10..(10 being the easiest) i would have to say 8. all it takes is a little common sense and you'll get it in.

CXHatchback
05-17-2002, 10:28 AM
I'd say it's closer to a 5, it's a bitch running the wires through the rubber boot in the door near the hinge.

Shotgun3131
05-20-2002, 07:15 PM
I got a system a lot like what Gsteg is suggesting above, nice deck in that picture by the way.

Be careful with Alpine as their top of the line models have no internal amplifier in them and can only be run through amplifiers, as is the case with my 7949.

I have a Kicker Bass Tube in my Integra. It sounds great and doesnt take up much space at all. I would reccomend it over a large clunky box.

;)

sparq
05-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CXHatchback
I'd say it's closer to a 5, it's a bitch running the wires through the rubber boot in the door near the hinge. Thats why you never run them through the little rubber boot. Two small holes will suffice and then silicone around it to make sure theres no water leakage -- you arent building an SQ vehicle, details like that dont matter :flipa:

GSteg
05-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by sparq
Thats why you never run them through the little rubber boot. Two small holes will suffice and then silicone around it to make sure theres no water leakage -- you arent building an SQ vehicle, details like that dont matter :flipa:

nice sig..
you should start an "AF Ganster Crew":D

CXHatchback
05-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by sparq
Thats why you never run them through the little rubber boot. Two small holes will suffice and then silicone around it to make sure theres no water leakage -- you arent building an SQ vehicle, details like that dont matter :flipa:

Oh I didn't, I ended up just ripping the boot a little bit, and screw the silicone, I'm not going underwater or anything.

Add your comment to this topic!