Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine boggs down on acceleration

SKSuser
09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Hello all,
I have a '99 Accord automatic that just hit 100,000 miles. I bought it with 93k, so I'm not too familiar with how this particular one drives, but it appeared to be in good mechanical shape when I bought it. After driving it for a while, I started having problems with power. When I give it gas, most of the time it takes right off. Sometimes though I'll give it gas on a takeoff and and the rpms drop from its usual 1000 and the car refuses to move. Its never died for me, but it keeps dropping the rpms until it gets down to about 250 and shakes the car around pretty good. When I let off the gas, it goes back up. Its like the gas pedal works exactly the opposite as it should. If I give it the amount of gas it would usually take to get it to about 1500 rpms from 1000, it'll drop by 500 instead of raise.

I've tried flooring it right when I notice the problem starting. This only makes the problem worse, however being "careful" doesn't really help matters either. I usually just have to wait it out.

This problem seems to happen more often when the car has been driven and then parked for about an hour. However, it does this at stop lights and has the dangerous habit of doing this while the car is rolling but I've let up on the gas, like at on ramps and while merging.

In the mean time, anybody got any possible solutions?

Add your comment to this topic!